Nashville is recognized, both nationally and internationally, as a health care industry capital and is well known for nurturing dynamic, innovative health care companies. The health care industry in Nashville impacts not only the local economy and how health care is delivered here, but also helps shape the national and international health care landscapes.
Following are some key facts about Nashville’s health care industry:
- The Nashville health care industry contributes an overall economic benefit of nearly $30 billion and more than 210,000 jobs to the local economy annually.
- Globally, 56 health care companies headquartered in Nashville generate more than $62 billion in revenue and nearly 400,000 jobs.
- More than 250 health care companies have operations in Nashville and work on a multi-state, national or international basis, with more than 300 professional service firms (e.g., accounting, architecture, banking, legal) providing expertise in the health care industry, according to Nashville Health Care Council data.
- Seventeen publicly traded companies are located in Nashville, with combined employment of more than 145,000 and revenue of nearly $26 billion globally.
- The health care industry is Nashville’s largest and fastest-growing employer, directly employing 110,000.
- One in eight Nashville workers is employed by a health care provider.
- The Nashville health care industry generated $13 billion in personal income for the local economy in 2008.
- The average annual wage of the Nashville health care industry is $53,000, significantly higher than the average Nashville wage of $39,000.
- In 2008, total estimated taxes paid by the Nashville health care industry in Tennessee were $1.2 billion, which represents nearly 20 percent of all taxes collected in Nashville and 7 percent of all taxes collected in Tennessee in 2008.
The Nashville Health Care Council is an association of health care industry leaders working together to further establish Nashville's position as the nation's health care industry capital.
Health Care Companies Map
Health Care Companies Map w/ Logos