2018 Moving Forward Scorecard shows steady transit progress
Since 2015, Moving Forward has tracked the following five objectives that work together to create a path to a comprehensive regional transit system. From 2017 to 2018, our region has achieved identification and passage of state revenue enhancements through the passage of the IMRPOVE Act and ability to raise local, dedicated funding for transit, achieved over 30,000 engagements with Middle Tennesseans and are underway with securing local dedicated funding for transit with the May 1st transit referendum. Over the past year, Moving Forward has made great strides to achieve these goals while also looking at the challenges that still lie ahead.
- Support the completion of an RTA and MTA Strategic Plan update by the end of 2016. Status: Achieved in September, 2016.
- Support the identification and passage of state and federal government revenue enhancements for transit by the end of 2017. Status: Achieved on the federal level in 2015 and on the state level in April of 2017.
- Ensure at least 30,000 engagements with Middle Tennesseans in the transit conversation by the end of 2017. Status: Achieved with 33,586 substantive engagements by December 2017.
- Identify and secure a local dedicated funding source for transit in the region by the end of 2018. Status: Underway with the proposed referendum to seek voter approval for a transit plan and funding in the May 2018 Davidson County general election.
- Support breaking ground on the first rapid transit project in the region by the end of 2020. Status: Still to be achieved, dependent on a funding source.
While this progress is promising, there are still challenges ahead. The Metro Nashville/Davison County Council will be reviewing the transit plan, funding plan and ballot language in early 2018. If the Council approves the proposal in February, the transit plan can be added to the May 1 ballot.
Moving Forward also wants to ensure that the transit conversation crosses county lines and becomes a regional effort. They envision a transit system that connects the entire region and provides better mobility options to all residents.
To see more details and read the full 2018 Moving Forward Scorecard, please visit Moving Forward’s website. You can also sign up for email updates on transit in the Moving Forward newsletter by filling out the form below.