Accountability Data Analyst
State of Tennessee
Finance & Accounting
Position Description / Responsibilities
Position Title: Data Analyst, Office of Assessment and Accountability Analytics
Reports To: Director of Assessment and Accountability Analytics
The Data Analyst will report to the Director of Assessment and Accountability Analytics. The incumbent’s primary responsibility will be to develop, support, and implement the state’s district and school accountability framework. This analyst plays a critical role in shaping district and state improvement efforts through technical leadership and management and reporting of important data points. Through the management, analysis, and reporting of data, this role will support Department leadership and other stakeholder decision-making and execution of strategic initiatives to ensure every Tennessee student receives a quality education. Attention to detail, accuracy, and flexibility are key traits for the successful candidate.
Specific Position Responsibilities:
· Lead analysis of the state’s testing data and other metrics used in the state’s accountability systems
· Prepare and present findings from data analyses to department leadership and stakeholders
· Develop and implement data management processes built on best practices
· Serve as a data expert and resource to others within the department
· Serve as a link between the state and LEAs on questions related to accountability data and process
· Perform quality checks to ensure business rules align with state and federal regulations
· Anticipate and solve data and process problems effectively and efficiently
· Prepare federal reports
· Perform other duties as needed
The ideal candidate will have:
· Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s preferred) in mathematics, statistics, economics, public policy, computer science, or related fields.
· A professional background in education
· Experience using R or Python for data wrangling, visualization, and computation, or deep proficiency with statistical software like Stata/SAS and willingness to learn R or Python
· Familiarity with principles and tools for reproducible research
· Ability to pursue self-directed learning
· Ability to present data clearly and in an accessible manner to variety of audiences
· Track record of delivering products and results under tight timelines
· Exemplary writing skills, particularly translating data findings into actionable reports, memos, and presentations
· Strong strategic thinking and creative problem solving skills
· Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative
· Team orientation and willingness to contribute at all levels to meet deadlines and complete successful implementation
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
Pursuant to the State of TN's policy of non-discrimination, the Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, or military services in its policies, or in the admission of, access to, treatment, or employment in its programs, services, or activities.
Please e-mail the following to Alexander Poon (firstname.lastname@example.org). While there is no application deadline, applicants will be screened on an ongoing basis.
· A resume or CV
· A coding sample or portfolio
· A writing sample
· A cover letter describing your interest in this position