State of Tennessee
Business & Professional Services , Government
Position Description / Responsibilities
Tennessee Department of Finance and Administration
Division of Accounts
Monthly Salary Range: $3,896 – $6,234 (based on qualifications and experience)
Job Overview Summary:
The Accounting Manager oversees the general fund accounting process for the Department of Labor and Workforce Development. The Accounting Manager job description describes the many responsibilities that include supervising the general fund accounting team, supporting program staff, and monitoring the general ledger. The Accounting Manager reports to the Fiscal Director and services the Department of Labor and Workforce Development as part of the F&A centralized accounting initiative.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Supervise, train, and provide leadership to the accounts payable and general ledger accounting teams ensuring compliance with GAAP and federal reporting guidelines.
· Develop performance evaluation goals and desired work outcomes for assigned subordinates to evaluate and develop job performance.
· Review and approve various accounting transactions to include: general ledger transactions, accounts payable transactions and travel expenditure transactions.
· Review and maintain the monthly checklist and reconciliations to ensure all transactions are recorded and reviewed timely.
· Run queries in Edison (PeopleSoft) and utilize excel skills to ensure journals are appropriately recorded in the general ledger.
· Complete and submit balance sheet reconciliations.
· Complete rent analysis and updates.
· Monitor bills and laws to determine financial impact on programs, budget modifications, and impact on internal policies and procedures.
· Oversee the payment card program for Department of Labor and Workforce Development.
· Compile the indirect cost rate proposal for submission to the Federal government
· Assist the Fiscal Department in the year-end close process ensuring deadlines are achieved.
· Effectively communicate with program management to provide value and service to the Department of Labor and Workforce Development.
· Serve as a subject matter expert on accounting policies, procedures, and systems for internal and external business partners.
· Assist with special projects and develop accounting processes as part of the system modernization initiative at the Department of Labor and Workforce Development.
· Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in business administration, accounting, or related field.
· Five or more years of relevant accounting or auditing experience.
· Intermediate excel skills with the ability to analyze and summarize data through the use of formulas and pivot tables.
· Experience with PeopleSoft and Oracle systems is preferred but not required.
· Strong communication skills with the ability to provide solutions through critical thinking.
· Strong knowledge of GAAP and financial internal control systems.
· Salary is commensurate with experience.
Pursuant to the State of Tennessee’s Workplace Discrimination and Harassment policy, the State is firmly committed to the principle of fair and equal employment opportunities for its citizens and strives to protect the rights and opportunities of all people to seek, obtain, and hold employment without being subjected to illegal discrimination and harassment in the workplace. It is the State’s policy to provide an environment free of discrimination and harassment of an individual because of that person’s race, color, national origin, age (40 and over), sex, pregnancy, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status or any other category protected by state and/or federal civil rights laws.
Only candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position will be interviewed. Please send resume and contact information to: firstname.lastname@example.org