Agribusiness Development Consultant
State of Tennessee
Position Description / Responsibilities
Agribusiness Development Consultant Ellington Agricultural Center - Nashville, Tennessee Annual Salary Range: $49,440 – $88,992
The Tennessee Department of Agriculture (TDA) exists to promote wise uses of Tennessee’s agricultural and forest resources, develop economic opportunities, and ensure safe, dependable food and fiber. The department helps protect the farming industry and Tennesseans by ensuring food safety, proper pesticide use, fuel quality and fairness in the marketplace. The department supports the State’s rural economy through farmer incentive programs, agribusiness development, and promotional activities to expand markets.
About the Agribusiness Development Division and Agribusiness Development Consultant Position
The Agribusiness Development Consultant position is an Executive Service position and reports to TDA’s Assistant Commissioner for Agribusiness Development. The Assistant Commissioner for Agribusiness Development serves as the TDA’s primary point of contact for the business industry and agribusiness stakeholders in their respective industries and serves as the agribusiness development arm of the Commissioner’s Office. Agribusiness Development Consultant positions are located in middle Tennessee, but will require travel throughout the State. The position is based in the Departments central office located at Ellington Agricultural Center, 440 Hogan Road in Nashville, Tennessee.
The business development consultant position is responsible for agribusiness development by aiding existing Tennessee companies grow and expand, recruiting new companies to Tennessee, promoting trade opportunities, and encouraging entrepreneurial growth in the state to create jobs and increase agribusiness growth. Applicants must be dedicated to providing excellent customer service to stakeholders, promoting economic development and agricultural stewardship, and implementing farm to market (supply chain) strategies across the state of Tennessee while promoting compliance with regulations. This includes developing relationships with stakeholders and partners to assist with business growth and expansion; serving as agribusiness liaison for TDA with commercial agricultural leadership to develop strategic industry resources and partnerships; implementing and promoting relevant policy and programs; improving TDA customer value delivery and developing a plan for strategic agribusiness growth which will aid in identifying prospects for future agribusiness expansion.
Duties and Essential Functions
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the public and stakeholders in agriculture industries. Contacts may include, but are not limited to, local governments and municipalities, development districts, existing business and industry, potential new business and industry, economic and community development representatives, agricultural associations and groups, or the public.
- Develop strong community relationships by meeting with TDA stakeholders and other community based business development partners to assist with business growth and expansion.
- Be knowledgeable and provide support of agribusiness development programs and opportunities with international trade, AgLaunch, Pick TN Products, TAEP, and other initiatives as introduced.
- Conduct existing industry visits to discuss potential expansions, gather feedback on any State regulatory issues they may be facing that hinder their growth, and learn about challenges they face such as, funding availability, regulatory restrictions or expansion locations or workforce readiness.
- Keep Commissioner’s Office informed of key developments in a particular industry.
- Coordinate or facilitate information sessions, provide presentations and attend meetings to local interested organizations which promote TDA’s agribusiness initiatives as well as other programs, services, and initiatives that promote agribusiness throughout the State.
- Plan and participate in regular internal meetings among Agribusiness Development Division members to stay informed about issues and to share information from the Commissioner’s office to help maintain consistency in communications.
- Serve on Agribusiness Development Taskforce and participate in regular meetings and provide weekly reports to Assistant Commissioner of Agribusiness Development.
- Work closely with the Public Affairs, and Legislative offices to ensure consistent communications to all external stakeholders. Perform media interviews as requested by the TDA Public Affairs Office.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Must be a critical thinker, have complex problem solving and decision-making abilities.
- Possess effective interpersonal skills when working with people at various levels within the organization as well as external stakeholders, including, but not limited to local and federal government officials, c-suite executives, agribusiness industry professionals and the public.
- Candidate must be an individual who can facilitate a team concept of management and the ability to present complex topics effectively in a concise manner.
- Motivated, High energy performer with the flexibility to adapt to a variety of different situations
- Must be a self-starter and have ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced and high-intensity environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Business Development or Consulting experience a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel is required
Educational Requirements Qualified candidates should possess a Bachelor’s degree preferably in Agribusiness, Business Administration or Marketing and experience in business development. Experience in rural economic development preferred. Graduate degrees in any of these areas or similar are desired but not required.
Interested applicants should submit via email to Kimberly.mantlo@TN.gov resume and cover letter addressed to Tom Womack, Deputy Commissioner, with a subject line of Agribusiness Development Consultant.