Assistant Director of Human Resources
State of Tennessee
HR, Office & Administrative Support
Position Description / Responsibilities
The Tennessee Department of Treasury impacts the lives of Tennesseans every day. Treasury is responsible for many of the financial operations of state government, including managing more than $60 billion in assets through its various investment programs. We administer the State’s Retirement Program, RetireReadyTN, which combines the state pension plan, Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System, and the State’s Deferred Compensation plan. Treasury serves all Tennesseans by helping to educate and empower individuals to make informed financial choices, and by providing public-serving programs in the areas of college savings, financial literacy, unclaimed property, criminal injuries compensation, and more.
The Human Resources (HR) Division for the Department of Treasury provides administration and support to nearly 300 employees. HR manages the employment life cycle through various HR disciplines and works as a strategic partner with each division to enhance organizational effectiveness.
Under the immediate supervision of the Director of Human Resources, and located in our Downtown Nashville office, the Assistant Director of Human Resources helps in the management of daily operations and employees for the Division.
• Daily Operations – As a vital member of the Human Resources team, assist in various tasks that support the HR needs of the employees of the Treasury Department. Serve as the Agency’s Benefit Coordinator and facilitate the benefit enrollment process. Receive and process employee requests made under the American’s with Disabilities Act and Family Medical Leave Act. Incorporate and comply with departmental, state, and federal laws, rules, regulations, and policies into best practices and standard operating procedures for efficiency and compliance purposes. Develop policies, procedure manuals, spreadsheets, presentations, memos, database queries, and other systems as required to facilitate accurate data gathering and reporting. Work with other members of the HR staff to process and key various employee transactions and other special projects as assigned. Must be able to organize work effectively and manage projects timely.
• Employee Development and Engagement – Manage and mentor members of HR staff. Develop and implement learning and development programs for the division’s employees including coordination of the Treasurer’s Leadership Academy. Oversee the onboarding process for new Treasury Employees, working with staff on facilitation of New Employee Orientation. Serve as a partner to the HR Director and other members of leadership to enhance employee engagement.
• Executive Functions – As a member of leadership for the HR Division, work with the Director and Chief Operating Officer, on aspects of division operations including maximizing efficiencies and strategic planning. Develop an understanding of how Treasury HR interrelates with other divisions in Treasury and other state agencies. Assist in salary administration and development of position analyses.
• Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university is required, with a degree in a Human Resources, Legal or a Business-related field preferred.
• Experience equivalent to five or more years of increasingly responsible full-time professional HR work.
• Strong writing, analytical and organizational skills required; must be detailed oriented.
• Experience with salary administration preferred.
• Prior work in a supervisory role is required, with experience utilizing a performance management evaluation process preferred.
• Masters degree, HR Certification (PHR/SPHR/SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP/CHHR) or other retirement or business-related professional designation is preferred.
• Strong computer skills. Prior work experience utilizing a Human Resource Information System that may include a Business Management Software Platform (such as the State of Tennessee’s Edison System), a Talent Management System, Applicant Tracking Software or other. Ability to learn and implement new technical processes or systems.
• Confident in technical knowledge of various HR disciplines, as well as state and federal laws as it relates to the HR field.
• Ability to demonstrate the skills of leadership, customer service, effective communication, problem solving and professionalism.
• Desire to learn, grow and be a part of a fast-paced team.
The State of Tennessee is an Equal Opportunity Employer. View other career opportunities at Treasury.
Tennessee Department of Treasury To apply, submit your resume to: Treasury.Resumes@tn.gov