Chief Financial and Administrative Officer (CFAO)
Community & Nonprofit , Finance & Accounting
Position Description / Responsibilities
The mission of Nashville CARES is to end the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Middle Tennessee. We work to achieve this through education, advocacy and support for those at risk for or living with HIV. Nashville CARES serves more than 50,000 Middle Tennesseans each year and has a budget of approximately $30 million.
Reporting to and collaborating with the CEO, the Chief Financial & Administrative Officer (CFAO) will set Nashville CARES’ financial policy and direction while also being an active participant in, and driver of, the organization’s overall strategy. As a member of the senior leadership team, the CFAO will work closely with a motivated and engaged finance committee of the board of directors. Additionally, the CFAO will actively manage and support the organization’s two facilities.
- Drive the financial strategy for an exciting and complex nonprofit.
- Provide leadership, direction and management to the finance and accounting team and facility staff.
- Provide strategic recommendations to the CEO and members of the executive management team.
- Establish and develop relations with senior management, external partners and stakeholders.
- Provide a partnership/leadership role to the business through effective communication.
- Ensure full transparency over the financial performance of the organization.
- Manage the processes for financial forecasting and budgets.
- Support the fiscal aspects of establishing and maintaining Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) designation.
- Oversee the preparation of all financial reporting, including monthly financial updates and comparison to budget for the Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
- Monitor and analyze financial data and metrics to make actionable recommendations aligned to organizational goals.
- Be the essential resource for the Board of Directors and work closely with the Finance Committee to understand and communicate key financial results and implications as well as risk management issues.
- Act as the chief compliance officer ensuring all obligations are met under nonprofit law, federal and nonprofit accounting standards, and contractual commitments to funders and donors.
- Ensure timely and accurate submission of invoices and financial reports for government, foundation and other funders.
- Oversee banking activities and actively manage cash flow to ensure the availability of funds as needed.
- Serve as primary liaison for all audit activities ensuring accurate and timely production of accounting information and financial reports and proper filing of tax returns.
- Monitor changes in legal, regulatory and administrative environments and implement changes needed to maintain compliance while maximizing operational and financial results.
- Manage internal and external resources to ensure the facilities and office environments fully support the effective operation and maintenance s the organization’s employees, including mail, phones, office equipment, supplies, security systems and fire safety equipment, and that clients and guests feel welcomed and informed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- 10+ years of financial leadership experience, including experience in non-profit organizations
- CPA (active or inactive)
- Solid experience in the timely completion of multiple tasks including coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, internal controls, regulatory compliance and reporting of government, corporate and foundation grants.
- An effective communicator, with strong oral and written skills
- Strong commitment to developing team members
- Must be highly ethical; action-oriented and visionary; reliable; detailed oriented; able to interface easily with staff, other senior management and funding sources
- Experience in audit preparation and procedures, ideally in a nonprofit setting
- General office software, particularly Microsoft Office Suite, and accounting software packages
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Master’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Fiscal management of health center/medical clinic experience
- Federally Qualified Health Center specific experience
- Nonprofit board experience
- MIP and Paylocity experience
- Public accounting experience
For more details to submit resume visit our Indeed listing.