CHIEF OF STAFF/DIRECTOR OF STRATEGY - 22656
State of Tennessee
Business & Professional Services , Government
Position Description / Responsibilities
How you make a difference in this role:
TennCare is committed to improving the quality of health care for its members while maximizing the value of every dollar spent. Since its founding, TennCare has been a leader in innovation through clinical care models and delivery system payment reform. TennCare's Medical Office is integral to this mission by leading clinical quality and operations and strategic clinical innovation for the agency. Operationally, the medical office is comprised of 6 teams and 160 employees. The medical office is responsible for all medical, dental, and pharmacy policy and operations as well as quality improvement and population health programming. It also administers all member medical appeals and oversees provider registration and engagement. Finally, through partnerships with providers, the managed care organizations, and other stakeholders, the medical office is responsible for designing and implementing strategic clinical initiatives to improve care and health outcomes for its members. The Chief of Staff/Director of Strategy will work directly to support the Chief Medical Officer. The role will have high visibility across the Medical Office and TennCare executive leadership to partner and lead priority initiatives to fulfill TennCare's ultimate vision of a healthier Tennessee.
- Coordinate and Lead Strategic TennCare Clinical Initiatives and Policy Development
- Focus on implementation, operations, and continuous improvement of key clinical programs. Ongoing programs include strategies to address the opioid epidemic, social risk factors, and improving health and educational outcomes.
- Act as a liaison between members of the CMO leadership team to support and implement key clinical initiatives and prevent redundances.
- Support the Chief Medical Officer and Associate Medical Directors in design and implementation of Payment Reform programs including: Episodes of Care, Primary Care Transformation, and Health Link.
- Support annual budgeting process to identify long-term strategic initiatives for the CMO and TennCare executive leadership.
- Support Data Analytics, Conduct Policy Research, and Independently Lead High-Priority CMO Projects to Develop and Implement Innovative Solutions for TennCare Members.
- Lead policy and data analysis to inform key strategic decisions for high impact clinical areas affecting TennCare members.
- Develop supporting materials to communicate key findings including PowerPoint presentations, policy memos, and data visualization.
- Lead project management of critical and high priority projects for CMO and leadership team.
- Develop solutions, ensure timely updates, and manage communications across stakeholders to solve operational issues.
- Perform literature reviews to summarize most relevant clinical evidence to inform decision making and policy discussion.
- Team Development and Staff Support Across All Medical Office Teams and Personnel
- Responsibilities include setting meeting agenda, ensuring key meeting participants are informed and prepared, and capturing critical tasks.
- Work closely with Chief Medical Officer to support team development and professional development. Activities include annual team strategic planning retreats, communication training, team-based learning, and leadership development.
- Represent Medical Office at stakeholder meetings to capture and convey important information to medical leadership team. Examples include interagency collaborations with the Departments of Health, Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services.
Masters level degree (MBA, MPH, MPP) or higher; (Exceptional performance with 3+ years in similar role or in management consulting will be considered in place of advanced degree)
- Advanced Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Highly developed interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Strong organizational, time management, analytical skills
- Experience in management consulting or healthcare policy strongly desired
- Experience with data analytics or health services outcomes research
- Experience in project management
For more information and to apply go to: tn.gov/careers