Client Outreach Manager
Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee
Community & Nonprofit
Position Description / Responsibilities
Who we are: Since 1978, Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee, a member of Feeding America™, has been providing food to our more than 1 million neighbors at risk of hunger in middle and west Tennessee. In support of our mission, which is “to provide food to people facing hunger and work to advance hunger solutions” – last year, we distributed more than 41 million pounds of food to more than 460 Partner Agencies, providing more than 36.5 million nutritious meals to hungry children, families and seniors throughout our 46-county service area. To learn more about out work, visit our website secondharvestmidtn.org and our social media.
What you’ll do:
Summary: The Client Outreach Manager is responsible for strengthening Second Harvest’s SNAP Outreach Program & TEFAP Program to effectively connect clients with public benefits. Responsible for direct client outreach as well as building and maintaining relationships with community partners.
- Provides SNAP Outreach and Application Assistance to clients. Visits partner agencies, food distributions, and community events to educate clients about the SNAP Program. Works directly with clients to determine potential SNAP eligibility.
- Assists individuals with completing and submitting a SNAP application. Explains the process and next steps. Follow ups with clients on the outcome of their SNAP application. Educates partner agencies and community partners on SNAP. Provides training and ongoing support to partner agencies that provide SNAP outreach directly to their clients.
- Establishes and builds relationships with nontraditional SNAP outreach partners, such as hospitals and colleges.
- Disseminates SNAP informational and nutritional handouts to partners.
- Oversees the intake and review of TEFAP (The Emergency Food Assistance Program) USDA partner agency reports; as well as providing partner training.
Supervises: one part-time SNAP Outreach Coordinator
When & Where:
- Schedule: Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM. Daily hours may vary to coincide with partner agency hours of operation. Flexibility is required. Saturday hours occasionally required for health fairs and Mobile Pantry distributions. Occasional duties may be necessary, as well as responding to issues, outside of normal working hours (e.g., disaster response, community events, etc.).
- Travel: 50% local travel required. Routine, daily travel is required within the service area; occasional travel for overnight trainings may be necessary. Current driver’s license required; copy of current auto insurance; and clean MVR required.
- Flexibility: our flexible work program is a strategic tool to achieve organizational goals, empower employees to do their best work and foster engagement by supporting high performance, business continuity as well as wellbeing and work-life-balance. WorkFlex arrangements are complex, specific to individuals and roles and include the following options: alternative schedule, compressed week, reduced/ part-time, job sharing, remote day and telecommuting.
- Essential business/ first responder: In instances of a federal, state or locally declared emergency, Second Harvest is typically considered an essential business service and emergency responder. All employees may be required to perform regular or emergent duties on-site. Employee safety is balanced with business and community necessity. Some positions are more likely to be required on-site than others.
Is this you?
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree and 1-year work experience required; or Associate’s degree and 3 years related work experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience with demonstrated transferable skills. Social Work or similar degree preferred.
- Experience: 1+ years of related experience and/or training.
- Skills & Capabilities: Demonstrated knowledge of the SNAP program and SNAP Outreach program guidelines and requirements. Demonstrated understanding of SNAP application processes. Ability to interact with persons of various social, cultural, economic, and educational backgrounds. Ability to establish rapport and gain the trust of others.
- Job Family Competencies: Coaching and developing others. Result orientation and execution. Quality improvement. Project management.
- Other requirements: our pre-hire process requires acceptable results from the following: professional reference feedback, criminal background, Motor Vehicle Record and a pre-employment drug test. Current Driver’s License and automobile insurance are also required. Criminal backgrounds are evaluated on a case-by-case basis considering several factors (timing, frequency, severity and job relation).
Think this sounds like a role and workplace where you would thrive? Apply now!
You can express interest in joining our team, in any of the following ways:
- Online: employment application on our website: http://www.secondharvestmidtn..... Resume and cover letter can be uploaded with applications on the website as well.
- Email: Resume and cover letter can be sent to our Human Resources team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In person: applications can be completed by visiting us on-site at any of our distribution centers, locations can be found on our website: secondharvestmidtn.org/contact.
Thanks for your interest in working for Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee - we love it here and think you will too!