College & Career Coordinator
Martha O'Bryan Center
Education, Training & Library
Position Description / Responsibilities
Critical features of this job are described below. They may be subject to change due to changes in our business processes or other business-related reasons. Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
The College & Career Coordinator advises, coaches, and mentors high school students to succeed in school and prepare for college, and future careers and professions at an ASU location. The College & Career Coordinator provides hands on experiences to help students develop decision-making skills and exposes students to the variety of post-secondary educational experiences they might consider, including job skills preparation or military. This is a full time, regular position, located at College Zone at Maplewood High. This position reports to the Senior Director of ASU and Post-Secondary Initiatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as a mentor and motivator for students, and helps students overcome barriers to success.
- Works with students and tutors to develop individualized strategies for academic improvement.
- Supervises College & Career Specialist, AmeriCorps Service Members, and interns in college access work
- Serves as subject matter expert on college access, including financial aid and ACT prep.
- Maintains close contact with school officials, parents, post-secondary institutions, and partner agencies.
- Hosts seminars, assemblies, and college/career fairs to help students become ready for college and to assist them in building the skill sets necessary to be successful.
- Coordinates and facilitates ACT preparatory classes.
- Assists high school students with their college searches and applications.
- Organizes college visits, internships, and apprenticeships for high school students.
- Assists 12th-graders with their applications for financial aid and scholarships.
- Maintains a record of all colleges and universities to which students may apply.
- Develops knowledge of appropriate grant outcomes and reporting mechanisms in order to track needed information through the year.
- Inputs data into the Salesforce database as needed.
- Assumes responsibility for all contract compliance both internal and external.
- Oversees and participates in completing the reports required by funders.
- Participates in program development activities and grants management in coordination with the Senior Director of High School Initiatives.
- Works closely with the Post-Secondary Education team to ensure student success.
- Assists with the identification of program deficits and works to develop strategies to improve program outcomes.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree.
- One year of experience in high school success or college access programming.
The above qualifications express the minimum standards of education and/or experience for this position. Other combinations of education and experience, if evaluated as equivalent, may be taken into consideration.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Understanding of college access programming.
- Strong interpersonal skills; excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Maintains credibility through sincerity, honesty, and discretion.
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with internal and external constituents.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong time management skills; uses time effectively; consistently meets deadlines.
- Strong project management skills.
- Maintains a high level of confidentiality regarding sensitive information.
- Maintains professional boundaries with students and staff.
- Documents regularly, thoroughly, accurately, and completely.
- High level of detail and accuracy.
- Exercises good and consistently fair judgment, courtesy, and tact in dealing with the staff and public in giving and obtaining information.
- Computer literate including familiarity with word processing, spreadsheet, database, desk top publishing software, email, social media, and the internet.
Click HERE to apply.