State of Tennessee
Finance & Accounting
Position Description / Responsibilities
Tennessee Department of State
Charitable Solicitations, Fantasy Sports and Gaming Division
The mission of the Office of the Secretary of State is to exceed the expectations of our customers, the taxpayers, by operating at the highest levels of accuracy, cost-effectiveness and accountability in a customer-centered environment.
Supervisor: Director of Charitable Solicitations, Fantasy Sports and Gaming
Summary: Under general supervision, conducts financial and/or compliance analysis of charitable organizations, professional solicitors and/or fundraising counsel. This is a professional-level position responsible for performing such audits as necessary to determine compliance with state laws, rules and regulations concerning charitable solicitations and gaming events
· Reviews applications for approval to solicit charitable contributions and recommends approval or disapproval based on compliance with appropriate law.
· Submits written reports of findings to the supervisor detailing known or suspected areas or incidents of noncompliance.
· Applies knowledge of accounting, IRS rules and regulations to answer questions related to completed tax forms.
· Fields questions from customers relating to registration, reporting, etc.
· Prepare correspondence and memoranda in response to inquiries and to explain results of analysis to applying organizations.
· Maintain database records on charitable organizations, professional solicitors and fundraising counsel.
· Cross train in the division and provide coverage and processing assistance as needed.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
· Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree with a major in accounting, business, non-profit management, or similar field.
· Qualifying full-time paid employment in a relevant field may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
Knowledge and Abilities:
· Experience with CRM Database, Microsoft Access or similar programs and Microsoft Word and Excel is required.
· Ability to tactfully deal with the public and co-workers.
· Ability to exercise sound judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions.
· Ability to think critically, analyze and solve problems creatively and independently
· Skill in expressing ideas clearly, concisely and convincingly.
· Knowledge of IRS requirements related to charitable organizations and gaming.
· Ability to communicate professionally and effectively with CPA firms.
· Demonstrated knowledge of 990s, audits, general accounting, and financial reports.
Salary: $2,742 per month plus State of Tennessee benefits package.
To apply, please email your letter of interest and resume to Division of Human Resources & Organizational Development, email@example.com