Hotel / Lodging Management Apprentice
Nashville State Community College
Nashville State Community College, Southeast Campus
Education, Training & Library , Food & Lodging
Position Description / Responsibilities
Hotel / Lodging Apprentice
Want to work in the hotel industry? Want to move up in the hotel and lodging industry? If so, Hotel / Lodging Management Apprenticeship may be for you!
Nashville State Community College has partnered with several facilities within the hospitality industry in the Nashville and Middle Tennessee area to launch an American Hotel and Lodging Association Hotel Management Apprenticeship Program for students interested in becoming a hotel professional. This program is also registered with the U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Apprenticeship and Training.
AHLEI Lodging Management Apprenticeship
The AHLEI Lodging Management Apprenticeship program is a 4000-hour on-the-job learning apprenticeship that is combined with the A.A.S. degree in Hospitality Management with a Concentration in Hotel Management. Upon completion of your first year in this apprenticeship program, your worksite can recommend you to the AHLEI for admission into the Certified Lodging Manager program.
Potential career opportunities: Hotel department manager or assistant manager, hotel manager, among others.
Hotel / Lodging Supervisor Apprenticeship
The Hotel / Lodging Supervisor Apprenticeship program is a 2000-hour on-the-job learning apprenticeship that is combined with the Hotel Management Technical Certificate.
This program can be completed in 12 months or less, depending on previous work experience. This program can lead to your Certified Hospitality Supervisor designation through the AHLEI.
Potential career opportunities: hotel departmental supervisor, department lead, etc.
Guest Service Professional Pre-Apprenticeship
The Guest Service Professional Pre-Apprenticeship program is a 1000-hour on-the-job learning pre-apprenticeship that is combined with the 16-semester credit technical certificate in Hotel Guest Service.
This program can be completed in 1 semester, 4-6 months and qualified apprentices for certification as a Housekeeping Attendant and/or Front Desk Representative through the AHLEI. .
Potential career opportunities: guest room attendant, housekeeper, front desk clerk, concierge, and other people-facing positions throughout a hotel.
The qualifications for being selected as an apprentice include the following:
- High school graduate or possess a GED/HiSET
- Preferred applicants have ACT scores or placement test scores to bypass the need for learning support in English and math
- Genuine and proven interest in a career in the hotel and lodging industry
- Previous experience in the hotel industry is preferred
- Completion of the application and interview process and selection as an apprentice by a sponsoring site
All of the following must be completed by the applicant no later than May 21, 2021, to be considered for one of the Fall 2021 hotel / lodging management apprentice positions:
- College Admission Application: Complete the online Nashville State Community College Admissions Application.
- Read: NSCC Application Agreement and Disclaimer
- Submit the following to Dina.Starks@nscc.edu (please include your name in the subject line of the email):
- Culinary Apprenticeship Application (download the PDF form, open in the PDF viewer of your choice and you will be able to type your information into the boxes). We realize this application says "culinary" on it. Our hotel application is being developed. For now, please complete the Culinary Apprenticeship Application and make note on it that you are applying for the Hotel Apprenticeship Program.
- Essay: Submit a 250-word essay describing your career goals in your chosen field.
- Resume: Submit your up-to-date resume.
- Letter of Recommendation: Please have one former employer or educator submit a letter of recommendation for you directly to Dina.Starks@nscc.edu. Please have your reference include your name in the subject line of the email.
- FAFSA: Complete the FAFSA to determine availability of financial aid for admission.
- Transcripts: Request that your transcripts from your high school and any college you may have attended be sent to Nashville State at this address: NSCC Office of Admissions, 120 White Bridge Road Nashville, TN 37209.
- Interviews: Once applications are screened by the Apprenticeship Admissions Committee, interviews with selected applicants will be conducted with representatives from the college and from the apprenticeship sites.