State of Tennessee
Position Description / Responsibilities
Tennessee Department of Finance and Administration
Division of Accounts
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Career Opportunity Available in Tennessee State Government
The Department of Finance and Administration, Division of Accounts is seeking an experienced CPA with a proven track record of increasing responsibility that can make a significant, immediate contribution to the management of state agency accounting operations.
The Division of Accounts maintains the official accounting records for the state’s $31 billion budget, processes state payments, submits various IRS reports, and prepares the state’s comprehensive annual financial report. Applicants should have a minimum of ten years’ experience in managing accounting staff and operations. CPA is required.
Management of agency accounting department and oversight of accounting functions to include but is not limited to the following areas:
- Ensure accurate and timely completion of monthly accounting checklist tasks
- Timely and accurate payment of invoices and recording of accounts receivables
- Monthly reconciliation of balance sheet accounts and analytical review of agency financial results
- Communication of financial results to accounting and agency executive management
- Completion of state-wide year-end closing tasks on or before established deadlines
- Internal and external financial reporting including federal grant reporting
- Create and maintain documented accounting standard business practices and procedures
- Completion of annual risk assessment and corrective action plans to mitigate those risks
Candidate should possess the following core competencies and be able to provide examples based on experience for each:
- Comfortable working in deadline driven environment
- Possess strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Focused on continuous improvement and problem-solving
- Firm understanding of GAAP and a high level of Microsoft Excel proficiency
- Record of efficiency improvements and streamlining of processes
- Experience with large-entity ERP systems like SAP, Oracle PeopleSoft is preferred
Salary is commensurate with experience. Health insurance, deferred compensation programs, and retirement programs are available in accordance with program regulations.
The State of Tennessee is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Pursuant to the State of Tennessee’s Workplace Discrimination and Harassment policy, the State is firmly committed to the principle of fair and equal employment opportunities for its citizens and strives to protect the rights and opportunities of all people to seek, obtain, and hold employment without being subjected to illegal discrimination and harassment in the workplace. It is the State’s policy to provide an environment free of discrimination and harassment of an individual because of that person’s race, color, national origin, age (40 and over), sex, pregnancy, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status or any other category protected by state and/or federal civil rights laws.
Please send resume's to Michelle.E.Wilson@tn.gov and Melissa.Lahue@tn.gov open until field