Coordinator, Volunteer Engagement
Second Harvest Food Bank
Community & Nonprofit , HR, Office & Administrative Support
Position Description / Responsibilities
We are hiring for a full-time job to join the Volunteer Engagement Team of the External Affairs Department at Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle TN.
What you’ll do:
Summary: Greets, trains, motivates and manages volunteers responsible for food-sorting activities in a warehouse environment. Ensures volunteer satisfaction by engaging with individuals and groups and effectively sharing our mission and their impact. Collaborates with community engagement and development team members on events and initiatives to raise awareness and engage the community in Rutherford County and the Southern Region of our service area.
- Hands-on volunteer management and customer service: Leads volunteer groups through food sorting, repackaging and assembly projects.
- Volunteer database: Schedules, tracks hours and assists volunteers with the VolunteerHub database.
- Project/supplies management and food safety: Ensures that all volunteer projects are completed correctly and efficiently.
- Operations procedures/ Inventory control: Ensures accurate inventory control and communicates with the Operations department daily to coordinate the movement of palletized food and needed supplies.
- Community Engagement: Actively seeks out and maintains an active presence in the community through collaboration with donors, partners and stakeholders. Solicits, plans, coordinates and implements community education events with schools, corporate partners, faith communities and individuals.
When & Where: Typical daytime hours of 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM work primarily out of the warehouse environment of our distribution center in Smyrna. The current workweek schedule is Monday - Thursday and alternating Fridays and Saturdays from 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM. Additionally includes, one monthly evening volunteer shift (2nd Wednesday from 5:30 - 8:00 PM) and may increase to weekly in the future. Nights and Saturdays are required, with other schedule flexibility as needed.
Is this you?
- Education: High School Diploma (or equivalent) required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Experience: 2+ years of related experience and/ or training.
- Skills: Strong communication and public speaking; attuned to others through active listening; strong customer service, influencing/ motivating and interpersonal skills; effectively delegates and coordinates tasks to others; excellent time management skills; flexible and reliable team player; exchanges information efficiently and effectively manages one’s own time as well as collaborates with and presents to diverse audiences in a variety of settings.
- Other requirements: our pre-hire process requires acceptable results from the following: professional reference feedback, criminal background, Motor Vehicle Record and a pre-employment drug test. Current Driver’s License and automobile insurance are also required. Criminal backgrounds are evaluated on a case by case basis considering several factors (timing, frequency, severity and job relation).
Think this sounds like a role and workplace where you would thrive? Apply now!
You can express interest in joining our team, in any of the following ways:
- Online: employment application on our website: http://www.secondharvestmidtn..... Resume and cover letter can be uploaded with applications on the website as well.
- Email: Resume and cover letter can be sent to our Human Resources team at email@example.com.
- In person: applications can be completed by visiting us on-site at any of our distribution centers, locations can be found on our website: secondharvestmidtn.org/contact.
Thanks for your interest in working for Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee. We love it here and think you will too.