Communities In Schools of Tennessee
Community & Nonprofit , Record Keeping
Position Description / Responsibilities
ABOUT COMMUNITIES IN SCHOOLS OF TENNESSEE
Communities In Schools of Tennessee (CIS-TN) is a nonprofit that partners with K-12 public schools to surround students with a community of support empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life.
As part of the CIS national network, CIS-TN achieves this mission by placing site coordinators in schools across the state to provide school-wide interventions and case managed services for students in need.
To best support the students, families, schools, community partners, and our staff members involved in this work, CIS-TN staff and board members center all decisions, actions, and services on the following core values:
- Integrity – We openly share how our work is done, and we hold ourselves accountable to the commitments we make.
- Empathy – We intentionally build relationships so we can learn about people’s stories, validate their experiences, and deepen our understanding of situations different from our own.
- Equity – We identify and work towards removing individual and systemic barriers so everyone has the same opportunity to achieve.
- Authenticity – We create space for the people we work with, and for, to be their truthful, complete selves without judgement.
- Collaboration – We bring people together to plan and take action in our work, understanding we make lasting change in partnership with one another.
The data specialist will set data standards for the entire program staff, as well as create systems to monitor data, interpret data, and communicate about data to staff and external partners.
The data specialist will:
- Set data entry standards for all program staff across all regions and create systems to ensure data entry fidelity.
- Serve as CIS-TN’s lead contact for CIS National regarding their database, CISDM, that site coordinators use to enter their daily activity and student/school outcomes. Includes leading CIS-TN’s data verification process with CIS National each year.
- Regularly pull reports from CISDM to check for data quality and send reports to program managers who will follow up with their respective site coordinators for entry corrections.
- Perform data quality checks on CISDM data throughout the year.
- Coach program managers on data entry standards and CISDM best practices.
- Create quarterly reporting templates for program managers to complete for their respective schools. Prepare standardized data for those reports where appropriate.
- Prepare any data for grant and/or other types of funder or public reports, including CIS-TN’s annual impact report.
- Prepare data and/or programmatic reports for invoicing in compliance with reporting criteria.
- Troubleshoot CISDM issues and provide technical assistance to staff as needed.
- Lead staff trainings on CISDM throughout the year. This could include trainings directly for site coordinators and/or train-the-trainer training for program managers.
- Lead CISDM trainings for any new staff as part of the onboarding process.
- Prepare regular data analysis on program outcomes, program quality, service delivery, etc. for the chief program officer and other senior staff. Serve as key thought partner in interpreting this data and developing action steps. Data analysis will require establishing new systems for the agency both inside and outside of the CISDM database.
- Manage CISDM administrative functions including account access for staff, password resets, etc.
- Regularly check CIS-TN’s partner district’s student information systems (SIS) to pull reports on school-wide and case managed student progress; manage staff account access for these systems.
- Applies a clear understanding of racial inequities and other forms of discrimination, and demonstrates a willingness to operate from an anti-oppression model to all aspects of the work.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position, but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other areas to cover absences or relief to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload. Other duties may be assigned by the executive director other CIS-TN staff as required.
The core competencies of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Administrative Functions: Proficient in navigating internal filing and management systems and consistently completes reporting on time.
- Data Analysis and Management: Proficient in setting data quality standards and follows through on ensuring teams follow those standards; advanced knowledge of using Microsoft Excel to interpret data and prepare visual reports on programmatic outcomes and also analysis of how service delivery is impacting outcomes.
- Decision Making and Problem Solving: Can make timely decisions, and when seeking input from leadership team, comes prepared with an analysis of available data and potential solutions.
- Relationship Building: Develops and maintains positive relationships with external stakeholders, (including school district staff) to ensure trust in CIS-TN’s data sharing agreements
- Time Management and Planning: Attends to a broad range of activities by scoping out the length and difficulty of tasks and projects and sets objectives and goals for projects. Needs minimal supervision to execute on deliverables for multiple projects at one time.
- Communication skills: Clearly and concisely addresses highly technical issues and data results to staff; differentiates data reports based on various audiences.
- Critical thinking: Identifying patterns and extracting actionable insights and information from the data.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Associate’s degree or credential in data analytics or related field; bachelor’s degree preferred.
Demonstrated expertise with database management and using Microsoft Excel, Tableau, and other tools to analyze and visualize data, prepare reports, etc.
Submit an application at www.cistn.org/careers.