Deputy Director of Pre-Construction & Estimating
TN Department of Transportation
Position Description / Responsibilities
TDOT Deputy Director of Pre-Construction/Estimating
The Headquarters Construction Division is responsible for the prequalification of contractors, bid lettings, contract awards, sub-contract approval, change order approval, establishing construction policies and procedures, design-build contracting, and CM-GC contracting. The Bid Analysis and Estimating Office will merge within the Construction Division under a newly formed Pre-construction and Estimating Section. This position will lead and direct the new section and report to the Construction Division Director.
- Manages overall leadership and strategic direction for the Pre-construction and Estimating office, by leading and developing staff, communicating team goals, and organizing various tasks for project delivery.
- Develops and maintains project cost estimates during various stages of project development, and provides the final engineers estimate of cost (EEC) for construction projects.
- Conducts bid reviews and bid analysis for projects let to construction. Establishes bidding trends, unbalanced bidding, or other bidding discrepancies, and maintains bidding history and estimates.
- Provides technical assistance to support the Local Programs Development Office through the preparation and distribution of the Notice to Contractors. Develops contract proposal books, establishes construction schedules (Primavera), and administers the contractor prequalification program.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's or masters degree in civil engineering, or other relative degree
- Ten (10) years of related transportation engineering and management experience.
- At least three (3) years of supervisory experience is required.
- A Professional Engineering License is required.
- Candidates should have a foundation of strong civil engineering and construction skills and possess an extensive understanding of transportation projects.
Application for the Deputy Director of Pre-Construction and Estimating requires completion and submission of the following two items:
1. Letter explaining applicant interest in the position.
2. Résumé that is a maximum of two (2) pages.
The two items should be emailed to TDOT.Careers@tn.gov by Friday, January 15, 2021.