Director of Legal Services
Arts & Business Council of Greater Nashville
Arts, Entertainment & Media , Community & Nonprofit
Position Description / Responsibilities
The Director of Legal Services oversees the management of the Arts & Business Council’s cornerstone program:
Volunteer Lawyers & Professionals for the Arts (VLPA). VLPA provides critical and necessary pro bono legal services to artists of all disciplines, as well as legal and business assistance to emerging nonprofit arts organizations in Tennessee. We provide legal services for artists and arts organizations, broadly including: drafting and reviewing contracts, protecting work with copyright and trademark, resolving arts-related disputes, and nonprofit formation.
● Manage the Volunteer Lawyers & Professionals for the Arts program year-round, including both in-house legal
work and recruitment of volunteer attorneys
● Plan quarterly legal clinics to reach new constituencies in the Greater Nashville community
● Support Program Manager in planning legal-related Education workshops
● Track and report data for VLPA program
● With Program Manager, prepare, and coordinate content for email promotions and social media channels
pertaining to VLPA
● Support organizational fundraising efforts through meetings with volunteers and law firm partners to cultivate
and maintain relationships, recruit new volunteer attorneys, and promote program participation
● Assist as necessary with the exec ution of Arts Immersion, the Arts & Business Council’s annual fundraising event
in conjunction with Executive Director and a community volunteer committee
● Hire and manage 10-12 legal interns per year
● Bachelor’s degree and Law degree required
● At least two years of experience working in a nonprofit or business setting preferred
● Nonprofit or Entertainment law experience a plus
● Intellectual Property or Patent law experience a plus
● Past management experience a plus
● Past experience in the arts a plus
Characteristics, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
● Passion for serving the Greater Nashville arts community
● Strong organizational and time management skills
● Dynamic self-starter with a high degree of professional independence, initiative, and self-discipline
● Collaborative mindset and proven ability to work with a variety of people and environments
● Strategic and creative thinker
● Excellent public and interpersonal relations skills
● Strong written and oral communication skills
● Competency in office software applications including Microsoft Office Suite
● Comfort using databases—Salesforce experience a plus, but not required
Environmental Conditions & Physical Demands
● The work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts requiring normal safety precautions typical of such
places as offices, meeting and training rooms; use of safe work practices with office equipment, avoidance of
trips and falls and observance of fire regulations.
● The work environment will require driving, walking, standing, bending and carrying of items weighing 1-15 lbs.
Also, the employee must have manual dexterity, visual and auditory acuity.
● Some repetitive motion is involved.
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Legal Services” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please.