Director of Short Programs and Marketing
Vanderbilt University: Executive Education Business Unit
Marketing, Communications & Information Technology
Position Description / Responsibilities
This individual will serve as a key contributing member of the Executive Education development team, developing their own portfolio of clients while collaborating on joint interests in short program development and marketing.
This position is responsible for establishing a marketing plan, objectives, strategies and tactical marketing efforts that will fuel rapid growth. This position will provide marketing expertise, oversight and execution at all stages of the sales funnel: generating awareness; driving inquiries, leads and registrations; establishing upsell and referral programs for repeat purchases. This individual will be primarily responsible for the B2C effort and will support the direct sales team for the division’s B2B effort.
This position reports directly into the Executive Director of Executive Education but will work closely with Owen’s Centralized Marketing and Communication Team and Director of Custom Solutions to ensure seamless coordination of efforts and full use of school-wide marketing infrastructure.
· Identifies and develops short programs in line with market needs.
· Establishes a comprehensive marketing plan for the business unit.
· Engages clients in ongoing discussion about their business, understanding the client’s unique business circumstances, challenges, learning and skill needs, and their ability to address those needs in-house versus with an educational partner.
· Creates strong partnerships with Owen faculty and engages them in discussions about how to apply their expertise and research to serve client needs; builds faculty enthusiasm for, and commitment to, working with Owen.
· Designs and sells complex learning engagements, iterating with clients and faculty and employing a wide range of frameworks, tools, and methodologies. Achieve an annual Sales target for Short Programs in each FY.
· Oversees short program execution, together with Program Management and Faculty, to ensure that client needs are met, and to capture learning for continuous innovation.
· Contributes to Owen’s global brand reputation as a unique and distinctive provider of executive education.
· A consultative sales and marketing professional with 5 years of experience selling solutions into the Director, VP or “C” suite levels of HR and Business functions; experience with general leadership, leadership communications, talent management, strategy and innovation solutions is especially relevant.
· High competence in planning and executing a comprehensive marketing plan.
· A drive for excellent results demonstrated by a track record of developing new business.
· Previous experience building a business or greatly expanding an existing one.
· A proven track record of achieving annual revenue assignments of $1M+.
· Ability to work well under pressure.
· Ability to speak with an appropriate level of business acumen and literacy at each level of an organization, specifically at the Director level and above.
· An innovative problem-solver; ability to listen to a client’s issue, assess the situation and develop an effective solution that aligns with their needs.
· Strong relationship building skills, both internally and with clients, to create long-lasting relationships; will work closely with the OGSM MarComm team.
· Exceptional communication skills; written, verbal and presentation.
· A collaborative team-player with a positive, can do attitude.
· Ability to travel within the region, and occasionally internationally.
· Bachelor’s degree required and advanced degree is preferred / MBA.
Vanderbilt University offers a competitive compensation package, including medical/dental/vision insurance, 401k, vacation leave and sick leave. Salary is commensurate with experience.