Director, Public Relations and Social Media
Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce
Community & Nonprofit , Marketing, Communications & Information Technology , Communication
Position Description / Responsibilities
This position will serve as primary spokesperson for the organization, fielding media calls, writing press releases and op eds, preparing speeches and presentations, maintaining and developing external vendor relationships, and overseeing and executing social media campaigns through a variety of channels. Additionally, this role is responsible for developing a strategic communications strategy in support of Chamber plans, objectives, and campaigns that aligns with overall organizational goals to increase member engagement, acquisition, retention, and stakeholder investment in both the organization and region.
Public Relations Responsibilities:
- Serve as spokesperson for the Chamber and act as primary entry point for media inquiries. Field daily media calls and respond appropriately. Provide media training for key staff members.
- Manage Chamber responses to issues affecting the Nashville region.
- Along with executive office, maintain relationships with the Chamber’s public relations agency, including the workflow for projects and communication of public relations efforts.
- Manage development and delivery of all press releases and advisories including all public relations needs for Chamber programs and initiatives. Coordinate news conferences and media events.
- Serve as Chamber communications liaison for economic development announcements.
- Create, implement, and maintain the Chamber’s communications plan and calendar.
- Develop public relations plans and digital press kits for key initiatives (may include photography and video content, social media graphics, etc.). Pitch stories to media, coordinate and perform interviews, coordinate photography and videography with prepared shot lists as needed, create and maintain media lists, research media opportunities, and build relationships with key local, regional, and national media outlets and contacts.
- Prepare presentations given by Chamber President and CEO and other key staff members as needed, such as speechwriting, development of talking points, running of digital presentations, etc. Keep track of all speaking engagements and schedule as needed.
- Oversee a monitoring system to ensure timely identification of newsworthy issues that pertain to the Chamber. Track articles daily, maintaining an archive of relevant news coverage for the organization and alerting the executive team as needed.
- Maintain the organization’s crisis communications plan and provide input in crisis situations.
- Generate television and radio coverage (stories), newspaper coverage with an emphasis on major publications (both print and online), and news magazine coverage (articles).
- As needed, provide editing and copywriting support for internal and external Marketing and Communications publications, in coordination with Digital Content Strategist.
Social Media Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the Marketing and Communications team to develop and implement integrated marketing campaign strategies for the Chamber’s social media channels including (but not limited to) blogs, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram. Help plan and execute organization-wide marketing efforts.
- Manage content and messaging within social media campaigns, including content strategy, goal setting, project resources, project lifecycle, and scheduling, in coordination with Digital Content Strategist.
- Optimize social media content, including creating and managing ongoing posts along with communicating, responding, and engaging with followers.
- Align social media goals with organizational goals to establish strategic communication.
- Oversee the development and implementation of a social media calendar, provide campaign ideas and advocate for best practices within channels to achieve desired results, serving as the subject matter expert on best user experience.
- Determine metrics and engagement tactics to ensure consistency and identify optimum interactive campaign results across all target audiences. Evaluate, track and report on campaign outcomes using results to inform future campaign decisions.
- Strategize with Marketing and Communications team, internal project owners, and key stakeholders to develop social media plans and objectives that achieve maximum amplification and distribution of content to target audiences.
- Ensure quality and delivery of content is strategic, keeps the integrity of the brand intact, and remains within budget and specifications.
- Work with the Marketing and Communications team to prioritize projects across multiple clients using project management platform to track project progress for internal and external communication needs. Provide recommendations on timelines and best practices for target audiences and usability.
- Other duties as assigned.
A bachelor’s degree in public relations, marketing, or communications, a related field, or equivalent work experience is required.
2-4 years of experience in a corporate, in-house, agency or similar work setting is required.
Ability to show a strong portfolio of work including writing samples and social media campaign examples.
Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite required. Basic knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite is a plus. Experience with Social Media and PR monitoring platforms preferred.
Photography and videography experience a plus.
Experience in media/public relations, strategic planning, communications consulting, speech writing, and PR agency management.
Must be an effective public speaker (media, internal audiences, external audiences, etc.).
Must be committed to working as part of a team and able to establish strong internal and external working relationships. Actively contributes to brainstorming/concept development sessions.
Ability to remain organized and manage and prioritize a varied and busy workload.
Must have the ability to drive to appointments outside the office.
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org