Second Harvest Food Bank
Community & Nonprofit , Transportation & Utilities
Position Description / Responsibilities
We are hiring for a full-time job to join the Transportation Team of the Operations Department at Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee.
What you’ll do:
Summary: The Director, Transportation is a key team player with responsibility for the overall strategy of the department, including timely and accurate pick-ups and deliveries, as well as the ability to work cross-functionally with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders. This role utilizes transportation software to ensure efficiencies and timely movement of our fleet. The safety of our Drivers is priority, ensuring all vehicles are properly maintained and DOT compliant. Collaborates with the Director, Operations to execute the strategy and mission of the organization. This leader supports and fosters our deep commitment to diversity and inclusion, which is the foundation for ensuring a culture of belonging for all personnel.
- Directs all aspects of the Transportation department.
- Utilizes transportation software and scheduling to optimize transportation models and improve or change routing to become the most efficient transportation system possible. Optimizes the fleet to the best of our ability based on routes, deliveries and pick-ups.
- Maintains good relationships with donors, working closing with the Food Resource Manager.
- Ensures all Drivers are compliant with internal policies and procedures as well as DOT regulations.
- Develops and manages the annual budget for the transportation department.
When & Where: Typical daytime hours of 7 AM – 4:30 PM to work primarily out of our Nashville distribution center. Occasional evenings and/or weekends may be required outside of normal working hours for meetings, special events, to respond to issues (e.g., disaster response, community events, etc). Occasional daytime travel required, up to 10% of work week within the local service area.
Is this you?
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Logistics, or a related area preferred. High school diploma (or equivalent) required.
- Experience: 5+ years of related experience and/or training required. Experience with GPS tracking system and Trimble routing software preferred.
- Skills: Organizes, coordinates and directs projects; leads, hires, trains, manages team including performance management; effectively communication in both oral and written format to all levels of leadership, donors and staff; strong negotiating and third-party vendor management skills; demonstrated proficiency with technology and computer programs including, but not limited to the Microsoft Office suite of products (Outlook Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Core Competencies for Operational Leadership: Coaching/Developing Others, Leadership/Strategic Thinking, Influence & Project Management.
- Other requirements: our pre-hire process requires acceptable results from the following: professional reference feedback, criminal background, Motor Vehicle Record and a pre-employment drug test. Current Driver’s License and automobile insurance are also required. Criminal backgrounds are evaluated on a case by case basis considering several factors (timing, frequency, severity and job relation).
Think this sounds like a role and workplace where you would thrive? Apply now!
You can express interest in joining our team, in any of the following ways:
- Online: employment application on our website: http://www.secondharvestmidtn..... Resume and cover letter can be uploaded with applications on the website as well.
- Email: Resume and cover letter can be sent to our Human Resources team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In person: applications can be completed by visiting us on-site at any of our distribution centers, locations can be found on our website: secondharvestmidtn.org/contact.
Thanks for your interest in working for Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee. We love it here and think you will too.