Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI) Committee Member
Poverty and the Arts
Position Description / Responsibilities
Poverty and the Arts (POVA) seeks diverse community volunteers to serve on our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) committee for at least one year. Committee members will meet every other month for an hour with some minimal work in between meetings. Meetings will take place virtually during COVID19. Currently (4) four board members and (2) two staff members serve on POVA’s DEI committee.
POVA’s Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI) Committee exists to :
- Assist and advise the Board and staff in developing a workplace and organizational culture that values the diversity of thought and perspective delivered by a diverse workforce operating within an inclusive organization
- Make program, policy, and procedural recommendations to the Board and staff to ensure equitable outcomes in programming and leadership
- Hold the organization accountable in the integration of diversity, equity, and inclusion into all aspects of the work at POVA
The committee will guide the work of diversity, equity, and inclusion at our organization through the following:
- Ensuring the maintenance and dissemination of best practices for diversity, equity, and inclusion in institutional policies, teaching, training, hiring, and retention of artists, employees, volunteers, and board members
- Monitoring the development, implementation, and evaluation of standards for cultural competence for staff, interns, and volunteers
- Serving as a resource for guidance and consultation regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion issues for artists and staff
- Surfacing and addressing DEI challenges as they arise. The DEI committee will seek out opportunities to address societal concerns related to diversity, equity and inclusion and, when warranted, engage artists and staff members in discussions regarding these challenges.
- Transparency of the DEI Committee. The DEI committee will periodically share its efforts with the Board to promote diversity, equity and inclusion among the team and to make this a more consistent theme in the organization’s operations.
This is a volunteer position.
To apply for POVA’s DEI committee, please email your resume and brief letter of interest to email@example.com