Community & Nonprofit
Position Description / Responsibilities
Job title: Executive Assistant
Reports to: VP of Finance & Operations
Supervises: Volunteers, interns
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
The Executive Assistant’s responsibilities are both very detail-oriented and yet require a high level of customer service. Ability to quickly take direction and execute tasks independently are critical to success in this role. The responsibilities are varied and will demand the ability to manage many open items simultaneously without letting any one item stay open too long. Must ask questions when more information is needed in order to be successful. Attention to timelines is also critical.
This position is integral to the high-functioning of PENCIL’s senior team and board of directors.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
• Calendar management for senior team - scheduling meetings, sending calendar invites and email reminders
• Facilitation of details related to PENCIL’s consulting work - contract management, initiating invoices, scheduling conference calls, managing travel logistics (flights, car rentals, hotels, expense reports)
• Development assistance - entering all gifts and pledges in donor database; using data entry to generate thank you letters
• Hiring process - posting open positions, resume collection, candidate communications, scheduling interviews, on-boarding process
• Employee management – updating job descriptions, timely notices to employees to complete self-evaluation documentation, scheduling of evaluation meetings, providing reference letters to former employees, creating team meeting agendas
• General support for events (collecting RSVP, preparing invitations, providing regular feedback on guests attending to event hosts; matching and connecting school principals with guest principals for Principal for a Day event)
• General – assure warehouse, kitchen, and office space is orderly; maintain office and kitchen supplies; distribute incoming mail
Secondary Activities and Responsibilities:
• Develop extensive knowledge of PENCIL programs in order to understand key priorities for each programmatic area
• Board support – assistance with meeting invitations, tracking that preparation is done timely, assistance with agenda and document preparation
• Document management – edits and organizes PENCIL procedures for Partnerships, Administration and Development
• Assisting Salesforce Administrator with data management (i.e. merging duplicate records, deleting inactive records, etc.)
• Preparation of address lists in advance of fundraising mailings (i.e. identify duplicates, update salutations, make address corrections, etc.)
• Financial assistance – entering transactions in accounting software, printing and mailing checks, etc. – when Finance Intern is not available
• Performs other functions as assigned.
PENCIL’s Team Values:
Our work is guided by the needs of Metro Nashville Public Schools, is student centric, and is achieved through partnerships and tangible engagements.
As the PENCIL team, we will:
• Be collaborative and transparent
• Act with integrity
• Demonstrate kindness and gratitude
• EDUCATION - Bachelor’s Degree is preferred; Associate’s Degree at a minimum
o Success with mastering technology and using it to gain efficiencies (i.e. implementing an on-line calendar scheduling tool rather than using emails to schedule meetings)
o Excellent customer service skills and relationship management skills
o Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and hit deadlines
o Able to work independently and proactively without daily instruction is critical, but must display teamwork and conflict resolution skills
o Organized and able to keep accurate and detailed documentation
o Excellent written and oral communication skills
• EXPERIENCE – 1+ years of experience in a similar role providing high-level assistance to an executive team member
• CONFIDENTIALITY – ability to manage sensitive information in a professional and confidential manner as outlined in PENCIL’s Confidentiality Policy
Environmental Conditions & Physical Demands:
• Moderate physical activity performing somewhat strenuous daily activities of a primarily administrative nature.
• Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, works with the fingers, and perceives attributes of objects and materials.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• The employee is required to stand, walk, climb and balance.
Please send resume, cover letter and supplemental materials to HR@pencil615.org. Due by 8am on August 27th.
With your resume, cover letter, and references, please also submit a sample email to a potential PENCIL Partner explaining to them how to book an informational meeting with PENCIL’s VP of Partnerships and Programs by using an on-line scheduling tool. Please also submit a checklist for managing the hiring process of a team PENCIL team member, from finalizing the job description through the candidate’s first day.