Remote/ Office location at 7199 Cockrill Bend Boulevard
Position Description / Responsibilities
The Grant Writer will help PENCIL meet its fundraising objectives by researching, writing, and submitting all grant proposals and grant reports.
Under the supervision of the Vice President of Development & Marketing, the Grant Writer will write and submit proposals and post-activity reports, and prospect potential corporate and foundation grant funders quarterly. The content of grant proposals and reports should be compelling, specific in their description of program activities and outcomes, and accurate. The Grant Writer records all relevant information in a timely and complete manner in PENCIL’s donor database (Salesforce) to assure a complete record of each funder.
The Grant Writer will be a strong, self-directed researcher who can write convincingly about trends in education and youth workforce development, providing a background for PENCIL’s work in a variety of contexts. We expect the Writer to stay connected to program changes and routinely suggest fresh updates to standard proposal language to best reflect PENCIL’s programs and achievements. This includes collaborating with the Program team to ensure stats and program descriptions are up to date.
Collaborating with the Development and Marketing team, the Grant Writer will maintain a calendar of deadlines related to all elements of grants management. This person will also catalog and communicate any media guidelines that funders have to the VP of Development to ensure PENCIL is complying with funders’ expectations.
Grant Writing and Reporting (90%)
- Generates revenue for PENCIL programs and services through timely submission of well-researched, well-written, well-documented grant proposals and follow up reports.
- Outlines timelines for each application or report in order to allow for adequate input and review time by other staff members prior to submission; owns the responsibility of interviewing staff to gather relevant, updated programmatic information.
- Writes solid drafts of all grant proposals, supporting documents and reports incorporating information obtained from program staff.
- Successfully utilizes Salesforce to manage and track application and report deadlines & keeps management and staff updated on grant and proposal schedules.
- Researches and identifies new government, corporate, foundation and private funding sources.
- Ability to articulate a compelling call for investment.
- Support the VP of Development in stewarding donors during “off-cycle” times with written program impact stories.
- Overwhelming desire to attract and retain new donors.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Writing compelling content for other fundraising collateral such as appeal letters, brochures, and website content as needed
- Perform other functions as assigned by the VP of Development & Marketing
- Creation and documentation of replicable systems and processes
- EDUCATION – Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- SKILLS –
- Exceptional written communication skills
- Exceptional editor
- Effective researcher of relevant education trends that inform PENCIL’s work
- Creative thinker who can deliver content that promotes the PENCIL brand
- Critical thinker who displays sound judgement in prioritizing problems to solve and opportunities to pursue
- Highly organized, deadline driven, and detail oriented
- Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, and good judgment
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft software
- EXPERIENCE – at least 3 years’ relevant experience, including at least 1 year of grant-writing, preferably in nonprofit fundraising or journalism/communications; and a demonstrated ability to produce original and compelling messages
- CONFIDENTIALITY – ability to manage sensitive information in a professional and confidential manner as outlined in PENCIL’s Confidentiality Policy
Please send a cover letter, resume, two professional references, and two writing samples (no more than 6 pages total) to email@example.com. Successful final candidates will be asked to complete a writing and editing assignment as part of the screening process.
Please apply by September 4th
Please, no phone calls. Thank you for your interest in PENCIL!