Information Systems Technical Consultant (Research and Development)
State of Tennessee
Position Description / Responsibilities
Job Summary: Reports to the Chief Systems Architect, who reports to the Chief Information Officer (CIO) within Strategic Technology Solutions (STS).
This position will be responsible for analysis, coordination and promotion of research projects for Strategic Technology Solutions (STS) within the State of TN. This position will also be responsible for managing diverse work assignments requiring professional judgment and use of Information Technology standards to research new and existing technologies and determine their technical, economic and practical feasibility for adoption within STS and the State.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develops and implements the organization’s research and development policies, objectives, and initiatives.
• Performs research, analysis, and evaluation activities with minimum direction, drawing appropriate conclusions and making appropriate recommendations.
• Tracks industry trends and relevant legislation as it relates to information technology.
• Analyzes current research and statistical techniques and recommend ways to apply new products, solutions and/or enhancements that align with the goals of the organization.
• Oversees the entire cycle of research and development from the initial concept creation through the execution and transition of research concepts often involving complex systems.
• Reviews software components to ensure they meet defined applications, specifications and features needed for the organization.
• Researches methods to enhance product performance, reduce product cost, optimize production costs, and improve quality of systems and/or processes.
• Facilitates research methods, such as survey, opinion poll, or questionnaire, and designs means for collecting data for each project.
• Identifies promising areas of research or technology that addresses unmet needs and has large potential use within state government.
• Writes technical reports detailing procedures, outcomes, and observations to management for further review.
• Enhances product development efforts by maintaining good relationships with all stakeholders.
• Understands newly developed technologies, their scope and limitations, and where they can fit into the overall product suite and future goals of the organization.
• Creates strategies for leveraging new and upcoming technologies with existing technology portfolio.
• Develops a roadmap for new technology development and potential to re-platform for improved product performance, improved process for consistent quality, greater efficiency and lower costs.
• Communicates research findings, new technology developments, their uses, and anticipated goals/timelines to executives, development and product teams to fully evaluate and vet potential technologies and projects for adoption or rejection.
• Provides process concepts including process feasibility, cost assessment and decision analysis to stakeholders.
• Ensures recommendations are in compliance with IT best practices and state standards.
• Works with cross functional groups, departments and vendors as needed to translate winning concepts into winning consumer propositions, including any new technologies required to meet and/or exceed the customer needs and expectations.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in an IT or Business related field. Relevant professional information technology experience may be substituted for the required degree.
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree and five years of experience within an IT organization.
• Must be familiar with a variety of the IT concepts, best practices, and procedures.
• Demonstrated experience cultivating relationships with internal and external customers.
• Must have an innovative mindset with ability to “look ahead” and translate it to business needs and goals.
• Must be focused on developing world class technologies and solutions.
• Must demonstrate a proven track record of exhibiting strong leadership, vision, and the ability to develop clear technology paths.
• Strong learning agility and comfort within a fast paced environment and customer facing role with changing criteria based on business needs.
• Demonstrated consumer empathy for developing consumer centric propositions.
• Excellent communication skills to clearly articulate the “sweet spot” of consumer desirability, technical feasibility, and operational viability.
• Working knowledge of innovation, product design, process development principles and tools.
• Working knowledge of technologies, practices, and research areas in the IT industry.
• Must be capable of coordinating multiple research and development projects, research areas, and activities simultaneously.
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations.
• Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
• Proven track record of bringing people together to meet common goals, evidenced by facilitation, negotiation and influencing skills.
• Proven track record of delivering high quality results, while thriving in a fast-paced environment.
• Solid understanding of business dynamics and ability to adapt to shifting priorities.
Preferred Qualifications: Prior state government experience is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
• Decision Quality
• Problem Solving
• Developing Direct Reports and Others
• Directing Others
• Conflict Management
• Hiring and Staffing
• Drive for Results
• Organizational Agility
• Building Effective Teams
• Motivating Others
The State of TN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Pursuant to the State of Tennessee’s Workplace Discrimination and Harassment policy, the State is firmly committed to the principle of fair and equal employment opportunities for its citizens and strives to protect the rights and opportunities of all people to seek, obtain, and hold employment without being subjected to illegal discrimination and harassment in the workplace. It is the State’s policy to provide an environment free of discrimination and harassment of an individual because of that person’s race, color, national origin, age (40 and over), sex, pregnancy, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status or any other category protected by state and/or federal civil rights laws.
Resumes should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.