Legal and Administrative Specialist
State of Tennessee
Position Description / Responsibilities
Assigned to the Bureau of Legal and External Affairs under the direction of the Deputy General Counsel, the Legal and Administrative Specialist provides a range of legal and administrative support services to the Tennessee Higher Education Commission (THEC) and the Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation (TSAC). This position will be housed at the THEC/TSAC offices in Nashville.
Primary Duties or Responsibilities:
- Establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with all agency leadership and staff.
- Assist legal counsel and program staff in defining the scope of services, describing the parties’ responsibilities, articulating necessary data sharing/privacy language, and other drafting issues.
- Support legal counsel and program staff throughout the agency’s solicitation processes, employing Requests for Proposal and other competitive procurement processes.
- Prepare contracts and related documents for review and approval by legal counsel.
- Maintain the contract management system (Edison) including input of all agency contracts and related documents, the monitoring of state approval processes, and the development of improvements or changes to the system.
- Distribute approved contract documents to appropriate parties, maintain contract file.
- Prepare budget revisions, contract amendments, and related documents, submit to legal counsel and program staff for approval, and coordinate state approval processes in Edison.
- Remain cognizant of changes to state policies concerning procurement and contracts.
- Identify connections among the work of agency program staff across the various divisions and bureaus of THEC and TSAC; communicate these opportunities to legal counsel as appropriate.
- Collaborate with legal counsel to implement revisions and updates to agency contract and procurement procedures.
- Assist in the preparation and processing of administrative rules and applicable supporting documentation under the Uniform Administrative Procedures Act.
- Assist in the preparation of materials for THEC and TSAC Board of Directors meetings
- Organize and maintain documentation files and legal reference books; maintain effective and adequate electronic and hard copy filing systems that allows easy utilization of files, legal reference sources, and other documentation according to established system.
- Prepare correspondence for review and approval by agency legal counsel and leadership.
- Additional duties
Skills and Qualifications
- Proven experience and understanding of state policies and procedures, especially contract and procurement processes
- In depth experience with Edison contract management processes
- Excellent presentation, communication, and writing skills and the ability to synthesize a range of information into concise and coherent materials
- Goal oriented with excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team in a fast changing environment
- Critical thinker and problem solver with the ability to see commonalities and make connections between ideas, projects, programs and people
- Independent, self-starter who also works as a collaborative team member
- Experience messaging to and communicating with varied audiences
- Experience managing several projects concurrently
- Strong interpersonal skills including tact, acuity, and flexibility to work effectively with a range of stakeholders including senior staff, grantees, state agency partners, institutional faculty, students and staff
Anticipated Salary Range and Benefits
Starting salary will be based on qualifications. This position offers a competitive benefits package that includes, health, dental, life insurance, and paid vacation and holidays.
THEC/TSAC is relentlessly focused on increasing the number of Tennesseans with a postsecondary credential. We pursue this goal by innovating for student access and success, creating a policy environment conducive to increased degree attainment, and protecting students and consumers. Additional information may be found at www.tn.gov/thec.
Pursuant to the State of Tennessee’s Workplace Discrimination and Harassment policy, the State is firmly committed to the principle of fair and equal employment opportunities for its citizens and strives to protect the rights and opportunities of all people to seek, obtain, and hold employment without being subjected to illegal discrimination and harassment in the workplace. It is the State’s policy to provide an environment free of discrimination and harassment of an individual because of that person’s race, color, national origin, age (40 and over), sex, pregnancy, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status or any other category protected by state and/or federal civil rights laws.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references on the form found at https://stateoftennessee.formstack.com/forms/resume_submission. Your submission materials may be copied and pasted into the form or attached in a .txt format. Applications will be accepted through April 30, 2018. While electronic submission through the link above is preferred, written submissions may also be sent to:
Laura Stewart, HR Director
Tennessee Higher Education Commission
404 James Robertson Parkway, Suite 1900
Nashville, Tennessee 37243-0820