Legal Assistant 2
State of Tennessee
Position Description / Responsibilities
JOB AND DEPARTMENTAL OVERVIEW
This job is for a paralegal position in TennCare’s Estate Recovery Division. Estate recovery is the process by which TennCare recoups payments for nursing home care from individuals once they have passed away. The candidate would assist attorneys handling estate recovery cases in probate court. This unit handles a high volume of cases and is responsible for recovering over $25 million annually.
- Prepare pleadings and correspondence for assigned estate recovery cases
- Prepare, transmit, and file summonses
- Conduct research to locate heirs and creditors
- Request and process claims and checks for court costs
- Communicate with third parties such as administrators and court clerks
- Coordinate hearing dates to reduce travel and maximize efficiency
- Review cases to verify accuracy of claim amounts and ensure no documentation is missing
- Track case status for events scheduled in assigned cases
- Obtain and maintain current records for state probate/chancery courts, including filing fee information
- Locate, contact, and maintain current records for potential court appointed administrators for each county
- Assist with accounting and bookkeeping, such as annuity paperwork
- Mentor and train other estate recovery employees
- Applicants for this position must have experience in the legal industry, with experience in litigation or probate law preferred.
- Applicants must have strong oral and written communication skills and provide excellent customer service to both internal and external clients.
- Applicants must have strong organization and have the ability to work independently and prioritize assignments.
- Applicants must also have research skills and must show great attention to detail.
- Applicants will regularly use case management software (AbacusLaw), Microsoft Office, and various electronic databases.
Apply Here: TN.gov/Careers