Manager of Advocacy and Communications
Position Description / Responsibilities
Position: Manager of Advocacy and Communications
Conexión Américas seeks qualified candidates for the position of Manager of Advocacy and Communications. The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent communication skills in English and Spanish and significant experience in traditional and social media. We seek a professional who finds joy in combining storytelling and advocacy with creativity and positivity. This person will be adept at writing copy for blogs, op-eds, and press releases, and using internal and external communications in pursuit of capturing and telling the stories of the families we serve and the work that we do in partnership with them. The best person for this job will enjoy team-based collaboration as well as the autonomy of self-directed projects. The ideal candidate must be compassionate and adaptable to working with people of diverse socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds. Above all, this strategist will consistently use words, images, and innovative communications techniques that celebrate our mission and honor the values of Conexión Américas. Please read about our mission and values on our website at www.conexionamericas.org.
This is a permanent, full-time staff position. This communications and advocacy professional will report to the Associate Director of Marketing and Communications to develop, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive communications and advocacy plan that increases Conexión Américas’ visibility and positions the organization as a go-to organization for the media, opinion leaders and policymakers. We work in a collaborative, team-based environment.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and lead the implementation of the organization’s annual policy agenda.
- Lead and coordinate Conexión Américas’ annual Day on the Hill.
- Work with the Co-Executive Directors to maximize the organization’s influence and impact on relevant public policy through op-eds, letters to the editor, and through public speaking engagements.
- Develop and disseminate key messages targeted to specific audiences for defined policy outcomes.
- Position the organization with policymakers as a credible, trusted, non-partisan source of information through effective communication.
- In collaboration with the Director of Marketing and Communications, establish and maintain contacts with the news media to convey and support Conexión Américas’ views on issues of significance.
- Create content to describe the programs and services on our websites (in English and Spanish): www.conexionamericas.org; www.casazafran.org; www.kitchen.conexionamericas.o...
- Craft content in coordination with the Co-Executive Directors for the monthly English-language email newsletter.
- Write content for the annual impact report. File stories, gather data and conduct interviews to meet deadlines.
- Support the Development team with communications needs for fundraising and special events.
- Stay up-to-date on news and information relevant to Conexión Américas.
- Maintain Conexión Américas’ “Story Bank” and craft narratives to share stories of how our programs and presence impact the lives of our families.
- Work with the Co-Executive Directors to create and edit external messages and communications, including speeches, letters and press releases.
- Help build and reinforce an organizational culture in which all staff and board members embrace their role as “brand ambassadors” and storytellers.
- Create content for video development and production for special events, including our annual fundraiser, “Cafecito: A Cup of Coffee for Conexión Américas”.
- Maintain a high level of professional discretion and respect for diverse communities.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to those listed above. As with all jobs at Conexión Américas, every person in the organization will assist in any way necessary to respond to new demands and to ensure a cooperative environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, marketing or similarly relevant field required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communications in both English and Spanish required, biculturalism preferred.
- Three years or more experience in communications, social or nonprofit work preferred.
- Flexibility, creativity, initiative and ability to work as a team member required.
- Ability to interact with diverse groups of stakeholders required.
- Exceptional ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks required.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with deadlines and strict timelines required.
- Results-oriented with analytical and problem-solving skills required.
- Flexible schedule required; some responsibilities will take place on evenings and on weekends.
- Excellent computer skills including Google Suite (Gmail, Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides) and Wordpress required. Ability to learn new systems in a timely fashion required.
- Basic graphic design skills and/or experience working in Canva preferred.
- Reliable transportation required.
- Demonstrated appreciation for Latino culture and people required.
- Strong understanding of Latino culture and Latino issues in the US required.
- Experience and knowledge of nonprofit organizations’ operations preferred.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of references to Diana Perez, Associate Director of Marketing and Communications, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or in-person inquiries, please.