Marketing & Social Media Intern
Position Description / Responsibilities
Reports to: Events & Marketing Manager
Schedule: Part time, hourly
Wage Scale: $10 / hr. (Academic credit available)
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
PENCIL’S TEAM VALUES:
Our work is guided by the needs of Metro Nashville Public Schools, is student centric, and is achieved through partnerships and tangible engagements.
As the PENCIL team, we will:
• Be collaborative and transparent
• Act with integrity
• Demonstrate kindness and gratitude
Under the direction of the Events & Marketing Manager, the Intern develops and implements marketing strategies to gain greater brand awareness for PENCIL and community participation. These strategies will likely be very diverse, but will primarily include social media, videography, storytelling and one-on-one communication.
Some specific recurring tasks will include:
• Assist in the creation of content for all PENCIL channels including social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn), website and Newsletter ensuring broad reach of all pertinent stories while maintaining efficient balance of information vs asks
• Encourage and manage regular interactions and engagements on all social media channels
• Research new marketing techniques and social trends to help advance partnership and volunteer recruitment, recognition and interaction
• Manage the frequent creation of video and photo collateral to give visual representation of PENCIL’s message
• Support Content Writer by identifying potential partner, student and volunteer stories ; capture these stories in creative writing to help showcase PENCIL’s work
• Support development events through sponsorship outreach, event preparation, content creation, etc.
The over-arching goal of this position is to raise awareness and enhance PENCIL’s brand to increase impact and provide more direct support to MNPS teachers and students. The Intern will spearhead social media engagement and the advancement of telling PENCIL’s story through all stakeholders (partners, community members, volunteers, students, teachers, etc.). Qualities that will benefit the intern are listed below:
2. Social media savvy
3. Attention to detail
4. Ability to problem solve, set and accomplish goals, and meet deadlines
5. Ability to engage and draw out stories
6. Ability to creatively articulate stories through writing and videos
7. Curiosity about programs, partners, staff, MNPS
8. Build successful relationships with local media outlets and other communication partners
9. Performs other functions as assigned.
• EDUCATION – pursuit of a bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, English or related field
• SKILLS –
o Creative with proven ability to problem solve, set and accomplish goals and meet deadlines
o Organized and able to keep accurate and detailed documentation
o Basic computer skills are essential, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and databases, as well as advanced knowledge of current and up-and-coming social media platforms. Familiarity with Adobe Suite and video editing is a plus.
o Excellent written and oral communication skills
o Able to work independently and proactively without daily instruction is critical but must display teamwork and conflict resolution skills.
• EXPERIENCE – Creating brand awareness via social media, press releases and/or print materials; Experience with and interest in creative writing and storytelling
• CONFIDENTIALITY – ability to manage sensitive information in a professional and confidential manner as outlined in PENCIL’s Confidentiality Policy
Do you consider yourself social media savvy? PENCIL is seeking a part-time Marketing & Social Media Intern whose passion includes sharing impactful stories and investing in the community. The full job description and application process are posted on our website at https://www.pencilforschools.org/jobs/.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to hr@PENCIL615.org. For consideration, all materials must be received by 5:00 PM on Monday, September 30, 2019.