Part-Time Staff Writer
Tennesseans for Student Success
Food & Lodging
Position Description / Responsibilities
Tennesseans for Student Success is a statewide network of teachers, parents, community leaders, and volunteers dedicated to supporting, championing, and fighting for Tennessee’s students and their futures. Our organization’s efforts, including legislative advocacy, grassroots organizing, and engagement across the state, and issue advance to support high-quality public education systems across Tennessee.
In 2022 Tennesseans for Student Success launched the Tennessee Firefly. Named after Tennessee's official state insect, the Tennessee Firefly seeks to strengthen our communities through factual journalism with a local focus to increase civic engagement and awareness.
POSITION OVERVIEW The Tennessee Firefly Reporter is a creative writer who is committed to telling the untold and under-told stories about education and government in Tennessee. As an essential member of our Firefly team, you will be responsible for pitching, developing, and writing content for the Tennessee Firefly.
The mission of the Tennessee Firefly Reporter is to generate stories daily for the Firefly website. This position will help grow the website’s presence and reach to be the preeminent source for education journalism in Tennessee.
RESPONSIBILITIES The Tennessee Firefly Reporter will have the following primary responsibilities:
- Use creative storytelling to accurately inform and engage our readers about the problems and solutions impacting Tennessee’s students.
- Demonstrate clear, concise writing skills and an emphasis on “why this is important to me.”
- Develop and pitch unique education stories weekly.
- Participate in daily editorial decisions.
- Works with managing editor to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
To apply, please send cover letter and PDF of your resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cover letter and PDF of your resume.
- A writing sample similar to that which may be produced in this job.