State of Tennessee
Business & Professional Services , Government
Position Description / Responsibilities
TennCare is hiring a Policy Analyst to implement a new Medicaid work requirements program.
Across the country policy experts are studying the application of work requirements to Medicaid. The State of Tennessee is hiring a Health Policy Analyst to launch a new work requirements program for TennCare. This position is an opportunity to coordinate all aspects of a work requirements program from start to finish. The position will require working closely with executive staff in TennCare and in other areas of state government to coordinate policy, planning, implementation, and evaluation of the project. The Health Policy Analyst will need to work independently, communicate clearly, navigate uncertainty, and collaborate with key stakeholders.
The Office of Strategic Planning and Innovation in TennCare is small (14 people) but our impact is magnified by the big projects we tackle. We aim to be at the cutting edge of health policy issues, and we work closely with other areas of TennCare, other state agencies, and external stakeholders to make large scale change. We are committed to our ambitious mission, and we love our work because it is important, interesting, and ever-changing.
• Advance new requirements for able-bodied adult TennCare recipients without young children.
• Study other states’ waiver applications and implementation of similar programs and brief decision-makers.
• Work closely with TennCare’s policy team and other internal and external stakeholders to draft and submit the federal waiver request.
• Participate in negotiations with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid services on an 1115 waiver amendment.
• Develop briefings and other communications documents about the waiver for state and national audiences.
• Work with TennCare and other departments to create implementation plans for the new requirements.
• Lead the implementation of the new requirements in coordination with executive staff from TennCare and other divisions.
• Plan for the evaluation of the impact of the new program.
• Support other projects in the office of Strategic Planning and Innovation, such as Patient Centered Medical Home and Tennessee Health Link, as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Director or Deputy Commissioner.
• Master’s degree and 1-2 years of work experience. Relevant Master’s Degrees include
Business Administration, Public Policy, Public Health, Health Policy, or Economics (with a
focus on health care or health insurance).
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
• Good presentation, questioning, and listening skills; and
• Demonstrated time management skills and proven ability to manage multiple tasks
simultaneously while completing work within allocated time frames.
• Experience with worker training programs.
• Experience with public assistance programs such as TANF or SNAP.
• Experience in health care delivery (hospital, physician practice, etc.)
• Experience in health insurance, health care delivery, health policy, or health insuranc
• Experience in program evaluation
For more information, visit our website at:
Pursuant to the State of Tennessee’s Workplace Discrimination and Harassment policy, the State is firmly committed to the principle of fair and equal employment opportunities for its citizens and strives to protect the rights and opportunities of all people to seek, obtain, and hold employment without being subjected to illegal discrimination and harassment in the workplace. It is the State’s policy to provide an environment free of discrimination and harassment of an individual because of that person’s race, color, national origin, age (40 and over), sex, pregnancy, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status or any other category protected by state and/or federal civil rights laws.
To apply, please send a resume, writing sample, and cover letter with salary expectations and desired start date to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions regarding this position please submit them to email@example.com