POWER Youth - Peer Leader
Family Services/Social Work
Position Description / Responsibilities
POWER Youth, under the direction of Metro Action Commission, is a coordinated initiative launched to provide young people in Davidson County access to employment. In Nashville, we have seen fewer and fewer teenagers and young adults working during the summers and after-school. At the same time, Nashville employers across various industries are concerned about the lack of social and emotional skills among their youngest employees—skills most readily learned through actual work experience.
STARS is currently working with local Nashville agencies to employ 26 college students (Peer Leaders) to coach young people (Experience Workers), ages 14 - 15 years old, over the Summer of 2021 (May 31 – July 22).
Education and Experience:
Competencies required for this position are normally acquired through two to four years of undergraduate studies, coupled with training provided by STARS.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Facilitate Positive Youth Development
- Lead teambuilding week for youth participants
- Coordinate payroll time collection for worksite
- Assist in coordination of daily project activities: goal-setting, timeframe, required tools, clean-up, etc.
- Deliver curriculum content related to soft-skills, financial literacy, and college knowledge
- Facilitate daily reflection time, integrating team-building and conflict-resolution skills into project activities
- Facilitate communication between Participants, Subject Matter Expert, Program Supervisor, On Site Leader, Transportation Leader, and Opportunity Now
- Work hours – Monday – Friday – 20-25 hours per week, depending on the site
- Training: Required Program Coach training sessions: May 31 - Jun 3, 2022 from 9:00am-3:00pm
- Work/Program dates: June 6 to July 22, 2022
- Pay - $17.00/hour
- Currently enrolled at a college or university in Davidson County and/or maintain Davidson County residency
- Must successfully pass Tennessee Bureau of Investigation background check prior to start
- Must successfully pass drug screening
- Time management and organizational skills
- Self-motivated and independent worker with the ability to successfully multitask
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with a diverse population
- Adaptable and flexible
- Willingness to lead and speak in front of groups
- Willingness to work with young people, age 14 – 15
- Able to lift up to 20 lbs.
STARS Nashville Employment (taleo.net)