Procurement Support Assistant
State of Tennessee
Position Description / Responsibilities
The Tennessee Department of General Services is responsible for providing goods and services to the State government of Tennessee. Its primary customers are other State departments and agencies. It also serves vendors wishing to do business with the State, and citizens and organizations interested in purchasing surplus State and federal property. The Department’s services include centralized procurement for State departments; management of the State’s real estate assets; motor vehicle and equipment management; printing, media, and photographic services; postal services; warehousing and distribution; State employee parking, badging, and shuttle services; and assistance to small businesses and businesses owned by minorities, women, and veterans. For more information about the Department of General Services please visit www.tn.gov/generalservices.
The Department is currently seeking a motivated individual to administrative support to the Central Procurement Office. This person will perform a wide variety of administrative duties to support the overall procurement function including guest reception, learning & development, and various other areas of the office.
The position is located in downtown Nashville and the monthly starting salary is $2,169 - $2,494 (determined on experience). Information regarding benefits can be found at www.tn.gov/hr/employees1/benefits.html.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of a Team Lead or Director:
• Perform a wide variety of administrative tasks and complex clerical support for the office.
• Maintain files, supplies, inventory and records per established procedures. Provide office reception, provide customer support to both internal & external customers, fulfill public information requests, perform clerical duties, distribute mail, provide assistance with learning & development team and perform any other office management duties as assigned.
• Build and maintain positive relationships and alliances with other governmental entities.
• May serve as a liaison between the CPO and Human Resources to coordinate job postings and scheduling interviews; may also assist with the student internship program, as needed.
• Perform liaison duties by gathering, organizing. Prioritizing, communicating and distributing information to internal and external stakeholders.
• Create spreadsheets, compose correspondence, manage records and create presentations, reports and other documents requiring proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and Power point.
• Provide assistance to procurement professionals by performing administrative procurement duties in Edison.
• Greet visitors, answer telephones and ensure the proper handling of inquiries and contacts including those from management, agencies, suppliers and the public.
• Provide logistical support to the office as necessary; maintain calendars; schedule meetings and compile correspondence and reservations associated with meetings.
• Completion of an Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or university; or
• 2 years of experience providing general administrative assistant duties in the private or public sector.
• Experience in an office environment.
• Experience with the Microsoft Office suite of products.
• Superior organizational and problem solving skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent customer service skills.
Pursuant to the State of Tennessee’s Workplace Discrimination and Harassment policy, the State is firmly committed to the principle of fair and equal employment opportunities for its citizens and strives to protect the rights and opportunities of all people to seek, obtain, and hold employment without being subjected to illegal discrimination and harassment in the workplace. It is the State’s policy to provide an environment free of discrimination and harassment of an individual because of that person’s race, color, national origin, age (40 and over), sex, pregnancy, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status or any other category protected by state and/or federal civil rights laws.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume and letter of interest to John.Bissell@tn.gov. Position will be posted until filled.