Program Specialist, Enrollment and Matching
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee
Family Services/Human Services/Behavioral Health
Position Description / Responsibilities
JOB TITLE: Program Specialist
REPORTS TO: Sr. Manager of Enrollment & Matching
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: No
FLSA STATUS: Exempt – Salary
LOCATION: Nashville, TN
BIGGER AND BETTER TOGETHER
For over 50 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee has served young people in the Middle TN region. Our work supports our belief that every child has the ability to succeed and thrive in life. Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (Bigs) and youth (Littles). Through our commitment to quality, innovation, and the passion we have for our work, we develop and sustain positive, life-changing relationships that have a direct and lasting impact on the lives of our youth and the adults who mentor them.
Our Mission is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth. As noted by our Vision, we are driven by a future in which all youth achieve their full potential.
WE ARE AN AGENCY THAT CELEBRATES DIFFERENCES
We show each other dignity through our partnerships, decisions, and language. We intentionally engage, represent, and partner with our diverse communities. We demonstrate our values by learning together with staff, board, volunteers, youth, families, and investors to think and act with sensitivity and intentionality. Driven by the voice of our stakeholders, our agency develops responsive and respectful programming and builds strategic and thoughtful alliances.
We want people of all backgrounds to see themselves represented and included in our work, so we actively seek to diversify our team and bring more voices to the table. We know that teams perform at their highest when they feel supported and that they belong. Each of our team members brings unique perspectives and skills, and we are committed to building a culture where voices are heard, differences are celebrated, and everyone has the opportunity to do meaningful work. At Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN, you will be inspired by talented, passionate colleagues who will motivate you to do and be your best. We are bigger and better together!
About the Role
Big Brothers Big Sisters seeks a Program Specialist who will thrive in a growing organization that is dedicated to positively impacting more youth through high quality, 1-to-1 mentoring. In this role, you will support and strengthen mentoring relationships between youth and positive adult mentors. Your coaching and guidance will help empower and inspire youth to reach their full, inherent potential, especially youth of color who are disproportionately impacted by systemic barriers. Primary responsibilities will include providing support to new and existing BBBS matches to ensure child safety, positive outcomes for youth, healthy and satisfying relationships between children and volunteers, and a strong sense of affiliation with BBBS.
Our ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment, be organized, be able to provide a positive customer experience, be able to multi-task, and have a passion for improving the lives of young people and our underrepresented youth. This team member will be passionate about and able to engage mentors and community partners from diverse communities, especially within communities of color. Evening and some weekend hours are required. People from the communities we serve are especially encouraged to apply.
Day to day:
- Assess all volunteers, parents and children for appropriate program participation by conducting initial and update interviews of parents, children and volunteers. Obtain collateral material needed for the assessment purposes including criminal background checks, references, school and counseling information.
- Provide timely and comprehensive assessments and recommendations for participation in the program based upon assessments of each individual.
- Make matching decisions that have the potential to result in strong mentor/mentee relationships. Create match proposals and introductions based on assessment information obtained in the intake and assessment processes.
- Screen eligibility and conduct intake calls for incoming, prospective families.
- Maintain up-to-date, accurate and detailed documentation and database records according to Big Brothers Big Sisters standards.
- Work schedule includes regular evenings and one Saturday a month to best meet the needs of our families and volunteers.
- Provide program participants with solution focused strategies, resources and training that will help to further support match participants.
- Participate in professional training as provided by the agency and the National office to achieve maximum development of professional skills when required.
- Learn and perform other program functions dependent on departmental needs including, but not limited to: conduct parent/volunteer orientations, conduct community-based match presentations, support a small caseload of community-based matches.
This Job May Be For You…..
- Youth-serving experience, especially working with youth of color and/or from marginalized communities
- Passion for supporting youth through strengths based strategies
- Understanding of issues/barriers that impact children and families from underserved populations
- Belief in the power of mentoring relationships
- Celebrates diversity
- Ability to work remotely and comfortable utilizing latest technologies.
- Strong time management and organizational skills with the ability to work independently, as well as with a team
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment and effectively manage shifting priorities and responsibilities
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills reflecting outstanding customer service, both in-person and by telephone
- Ability to think critically, effectively provide responsive coaching, and draw solid conclusions based on information provided
- Comfortable engaging in challenging conversations
Additionally, we’d love…
- Effective group presentation skills
- Driven to help youth reach their full potential
- Consistent desire to seek out new and more effective methods to support programming
- Understanding of/experience with youth mentoring
- Familiarity with Positive Youth Development strategies
- Spanish fluency
Relevant youth-serving experience or a Bachelor’s degree/college coursework in Social Work or a related field. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Outlook, and Excel. Must have a reliable car, valid driver’s license and meet state required automobile insurance minimums.
If this sounds like the position and organization for you, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Your Name- Program Specialist Enrollment” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Big Brothers Big sisters of Middle Tennessee celebrates diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.