Public & Government Relations Consultant
AAA -- The Auto Club Group
Marketing, Communications & Information Technology
Position Description / Responsibilities
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Work independently, with guidance only in the most complex situations, to develop, plan, implement and evaluate an integrated strategic communications plan to advance the company’s brand identity and broaden awareness of ACG’s programs and priorities. Create and maintain a favorable public image of the organization through strategic communication across various media platforms (radio, television, newspaper, new media, etc.). Design media releases and other forms of communication to: inform the public of various corporate initiatives, advocacy and public policy initiatives, respond to critical situations and increase awareness of ACG’s mission. Provide media support to individual business lines as needed.
Serve as the PR liaison for internal and external business partners. Develop lines of communication with media contacts and other external audiences. Maintain and expand upon strong, positive relationships with members of the news media, continually positioning ACG as an expert source for information relevant to our advocacy efforts and community involvement. Identify new media-oriented opportunities and initiate programs and campaigns to support corporate goals.
Lead PR projects and project teams tasked with conducting project analysis, developing and using various mediums to execute PR strategies/plans. Identify and utilize the appropriate resources to complete projects. Forecast and communicate potential project outcomes to senior leaders. Work with management to develop "branding" opportunities. Develop a matrix for measuring PR success and areas of needed improvement.
When the Legislature is in session in assigned states, work with the Government Relations department to: analyze and monitor legislative developments and perform lobbying activities when directed to do so. When necessary, provide written and oral testimony before legislative bodies. Participate with inter-industry organizations and serve on various committees when appropriate. Represent ACG at political and community function as necessary.
Interpret issues and foresee any problems. Take a broad perspective to identify, analyze and recommend innovative approaches to address and resolve highly complex problems. Make recommendations for improvements to PR methods, processes and procedures. Act as a resource to less experienced staff.
Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or related field or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Successful completion of Company media training
- extensive experience in public relations account management
- developing strong relationships with the media and external audiences
- five years of experience writing and editing communications and working on video/print production for publications (press releases, sound bites, announcements, articles, stories)
- developing and executing public relations and communication strategies, plans, and programs
- web and graphics design
- working with Adobe Creative Suite
- interacting with and providing public relations and communication counsel to upper management
- social media and blogging
- interviewing subject matter experts
- developing branding on projects
- analyzing impact of legislation/regulation on company activity
Knowledge / Skills:
- public relations project management techniques
- media relations techniques
- script writing techniques
- current and emerging communication techniques (i.e., social media, blogging, video, mobile and
- the legislative process
- demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills (a writing sample may be required at time of application or screening)
- communicate effectively with politicians, government agencies, internal business partners, industry partners, management and the public.
- demonstrate strong public speaking voice
- work independently and handle several projects simultaneously
- demonstrate solid project management skills
- demonstrate strong analytical skills with an aptitude for creative solutions
- provide counsel to all levels of management on public relations processes/issues
- handle special assignments and confidential reports as requested
- design graphics to accompany communications
- develop a communication strategy as it relates to various communication mediums
- develop "branding" as necessary for projects