SCHOOL COUNSELOR/ SCHOOL THERAPIST
Education, Training & Library
Position Description / Responsibilities
Akiva School and JMS has an opening for an energetic, creative, and skillful educator to join a team of dynamic, reflective and collaborative teachers. The successful candidate will have a background in counseling or therapy, a passion for children and their families and an interest in working in innovative and collaborative ways with colleagues. A passion for continued learning is a must.
● Teach weekly guidance classes to grades K-6 and weekly assembly to whole school
● Communicate with students, parents, teachers and support staff to ensure a positive, safe, and enriching, and high-quality learning experience for each child
● Build a sense of team through the creation and implementation of team building activities for all teachers, students and at times, parents
● Attend Parent Teacher conferences as needed
● Assess student performance formally and informally to progress toward goals and to communicate this to the HOS/Administrator and to parents when applicable.
● Participate in duties outside of the classroom lunch, recess, and end of the day
● Serve on teacher committees and take part in the active teaching team at Akiva.
● Encourage and model a sense of wonder, appreciation, and moral courage for and with every member of the learning community.
● Attend applicable faculty meetings, in-service days, and occasional weekend or evening after-school events
● Attend and host weekend/evening opportunities to educate the community as needed
● Support the student and family-centered environment that Akiva works to provide.
● Respect and learn about all forms of Jewish observance and maintain the open and thoughtful environment to multiple perspectives so coveted by our teachers, families, and students.
● Keep up with the discipline of best practices, and work to help identify key professional development, materials and tools that work to reflect the school's mission of academic, social, physical and emotional excellence.
● Serve on the Admission team to help assess and social and emotional readiness of all students
● Always model the values of respect, positivity, kindness and generosity toward every member of the Akiva family (children, parents and faculty)
We are looking for someone with a passion for what s/he does and a commitment to strong communication with teachers, students, and parents. We look forward to meeting with any qualified candidate.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Guidance Counselor’ in the heading.