Senior Staff Accountant
Martha O'Bryan Center
Finance & Accounting
Position Description / Responsibilities
Critical features of this job are described under the headings below. They may be subject to change due to changes in our business processes or other business-related reasons.
The Senior Staff Accountant is responsible for applying accounting principles and procedures to analyze financial information, prepare accurate and timely financial reports and statements and ensure appropriate accounting control procedures. This is a full time, regular position, located at the Martha O’Bryan Center. This position reports to the Accounting Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Records and posts cash disbursements, cash receipts and general ledger journal entries.
- Compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare financial statements including monthly and annual reporting.
- Ensures financial records are maintained in compliance with GAAP.
- Ensures all financial reporting deadlines are met and assists with preparation of monthly financial reports
- Prepares financial management reports as requested by the Accounting Manager and Chief Finance Officer.
- Ensures accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year end close processes.
- Establishes and monitors the implementation and maintenance of accounting control procedures.
- Resolves accounting discrepancies and irregularities.
- Assists financial audit preparation and coordinates the audit process along with Accounting Manager.
- Ensures accurate and appropriate recording and analysis of revenues and expenses.
- Analyzes and advises on business operations including revenue and expenditure trends, financial commitments, and future revenues.
- Analyzes financial information to recommend or develop efficient use of resources and procedures; provides strategic recommendations and creates solutions to business and financial problems.
- Assists in preparation of organization annual budget and quarterly forecasts.
- Assists with preparation of monthly financial reports.
- Develop intimate understanding of grant and funder finance requirements.
- Creates monthly billing and reports for all grants and contracts.
- Reconciles and maintains balance sheet accounts.
- Maintains fixed asset inventories and depreciation schedule.
- Assists in other areas of the accounting cycle when needed.
- Reconcile cash accounts.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field preferred.
- Experience working with computerized accounting systems.
- 3-5 years of experience in the management of financial systems and budgets, financial reporting, financial data analysis, and auditing.
- Strong grant billing experience preferred.
The above qualifications express the minimum standards of education and/or experience for this position. Other combinations of education and experience, if evaluated as equivalent, may be taken into consideration.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of GAAP practices and principles.
- Ability to look at numbers, trends, and data, and come to conclusions based on findings.
- Ability to translate data into understandable documents/presentations.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas.
- Strong interpersonal skills; excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Maintains credibility through sincerity, honesty, and discretion.
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with internal and external constituents.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong time management skills; uses time effectively; consistently meets deadlines.
- Strong project management skills.
- Maintains a high level of confidentiality regarding sensitive information.
- Documents regularly, thoroughly, accurately, and completely.
- High level of detail and accuracy.
- Exercises good and consistently fair judgment, courtesy, and tact in dealing with the staff and public in giving and obtaining information. Computer literate including familiarity with word processing, spreadsheet, database, desk top publishing software, email and the internet.
Click HERE to apply.