Senior Vice President of Finance and Administration
Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce
Community & Nonprofit , Finance & Accounting
Position Description / Responsibilities
Reports to: Chief Talent Development Officer
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Job titles of direct reports:
- Accounting Manager
- Accounting Specialist
- Front Office Manager & Information Specialist
The Senior Vice President of Finance and Administration provides hands-on leadership and support to the accounting and front office team and provides strategic financial guidance to the Chamber’s management team to support the growth and mission of the organization. The position is responsible for all the general financial and human resource functions of the Chamber, the Chamber's foundation, consolidated affiliates of the Chamber, as well as non-consolidated affiliates, and any other associations supported or organized by the Chamber or Foundation. Primarily responsible for the overall management of the organization's accounting and financial services, including financial reporting and review with the Finance & Audit Committee of the Chamber as well as the board of directors of the Chamber and the boards of the affiliates. Other financial related responsibilities include leading and managing outside auditors with annual audits, tax functions, including preparing and/or reviewing various IRS and state-related forms. The Senior Vice President of Finance and Administration position is primarily responsible for all business insurance matters, employee benefit and retirement plans and all HR processes of the organization, including policies and procedures, benefits selection and management. This position also provides oversight to the company IT functions, currently outsourced, providing oversight, collaboration on strategic direction and assuring IT infrastructure is document as assessed to mitigate risk.
- Responsible for managing and approval of all financial transactions relating to the organization.
- Responsible for staffing of the Finance & Audit Committee for oversight of major financial issues affecting the organization, including budgets, audits, investment policies, employee benefit plan fiduciary responsibilities and other matters of importance.
- Responsible for the hiring, training, and development of the accounting and front office manager team to build a team that fully understands the processes and the why behind the processes to have the capacity to proactively identify risks of fraud, error or develop increased efficiencies and expanded services within each of their functional areas.
- Lead all discussions and planning/coordination with external auditors and other regulatory bodies as it relates to audit for the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce, the Nashville Area Public Benefit Foundation, and the Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce Retirement Savings Plan, as well as the responsibility for audit and management reports being issued and discussed with appropriate levels of the organization (Finance & Audit Committee and Board of Directors).
- Prepare or provide oversight for all audit schedules and year-end entries to assure GAAP compliance and proper preparedness for the external audit.
- Prepare monthly financial reports, periodic forecasts and presentations for senior management, Finance & Audit Committee and Board of Directors.
- Ensure various filings required by government agencies, including but not limited to IRS 990 and 990-T filings, State Franchise and Excise Tax, Election Disclosure forms, Charitable Solicitation permits, etc. are completed on time. This applies for the Chamber and all affiliated entities.
- Provide training and guidance to non-accounting team members to improve understanding and management of financial matters pertaining to their area of responsibility and the company.
- Lead the annual budgeting and forecasting processes, including the preparation of budgeting tools, training budget managers on the tools, rolling up the organizational budgets and discussions with senior management regarding appropriate allocation of resources, as well as presentations to Finance & Audit Committee for review of budgets and Board of Directors for approval.
- Responsible for developing and managing the budgets of the specific accounting, operations and structural departments to include allocation of overhead costs.
- Oversight for timely payment and management of Accounts Payable of the organization, including reviewing for proper coding and authorization, as well as signing of all AP checks.
- Responsible for treasury management and bank relationships, including establishing new accounts, maintaining authorized signature on all accounts, compliance with cash management policies of the organization and managing funds for the maximum benefit to the Chamber.
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of Chamber systems and business practices to continually assess processes for risk of fraud, error and efficient use of organizational resources to include both time and money.
- Perform and provide financial, organizational and ad hoc analysis to Chamber leadership to assure a complete understanding of the use and deployment of organizational resources.
- Lead Retirement Committee in duties assigned regarding investment policies and strategies.
- Lead discussions with outside legal counsel in contractual matters, as well as primarily responsibility for reviewing of all significant legal contracts for appropriateness to ensure the Chamber's legal and financial exposure is minimized to the extent possible.
- Responsible for adequate business insurance coverage for the organization.
- Responsible for all HR-related processes and functions of the organization, including payroll, employee handbook updates, administration of employee benefit programs, integration with consulting firm, and selection and placement of benefit coverages.
- Manage the administration of the various employee benefit plans, including the 401(k) plan, employee benefit plans. Act as plan trustee on matters for these plans, resulting in fiduciary responsibility for the proper oversight and management of plan assets.
- Lead and oversee performance review and mid-year check-in processes to assure performance evaluations are performed and wage grids are properly calculated and communicated to supervisors.
- Support supervisors on HR process issues, including hiring, performance reviews and corrective action in consultation with HR consultant.
- Responsible for assuring that IT services, purchases and practices meet the needs and strategic direction of the Chamber.
- Assess risks related to IT, assuring practices are in place for an effective back-up recovery process and systems are documented.
- Proactively plan for changes to IT infrastructure to maintain current and efficient systems.
- IT systems and strategy work is performed through collaboration and oversight of an outsourced IT firm.
- Oversee office administrative functions to ensure smooth operations of the physical offices and equipment. This includes oversight of outsourced contracts and vendors.
- Maintain confidentiality of organization’s information.
Knowledge, Education and Experience Required:
- CPA license; bachelor's degree in accounting required; MBA preferred
- Requires a minimum of seven-ten years of previous financial management experience, as well as in general ledger accounting or auditing
- Requires a minimum of three years previous human resources experience, including payroll
- Non-profit experience is a plus, but not a requirement
- Proficiency in software programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and GL, payroll and HR administration systems payroll and HR administration systems
- Sound understanding of financials, forecasting and budgeting
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Effective communications skills, both written and oral
- System/ project planning and implementation
- Ability to lead other members of senior staff in budgeting
- Ability to establish, maintain and manage priorities
- Ability to work collaboratively and win confidence within the team
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work with little supervision
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
Supervision: Less than 50%
Decision Making: High degree of decision making ability for the financial health of company and compliance.
Fiscal Responsibility: In charge of developing budgets for departments and responsible for allocation of resources for Accounting and Structural departments.
Project Management: Position requires ability to lead projects and participants, develop projects, select participants, etc.
Estimated percentage of time devoted to project work: A consistent and ongoing aspect of the position
- Typically sitting at a desk or table
- Occasional lifting of light objects (less than 24 pounds)
- Intermittently walking, standing, bending and carrying
- Requires use of safe work practices with office equipment, avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations
- Able to drive and use of a vehicle.
- Use of equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity
- Need to distinguish between shades of color
To apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, "Senior VP, Finance and Administration."