Software Developer – Jr. Java
State of Tennessee
Marketing, Communications & Information Technology
Position Description / Responsibilities
The Software Developer – Junior, Enterprise Application Support (EAS) is a key service delivery team member for the IT Division of the Department of Human Services (DHS). Reporting to an IT Manager, s/he will work independently or as a member of a project team, that will designs, modifies code, participates in code reviews, develops databases and/or implements complex business applications programs .
S/he provides technical support in the development, implementation, maintenance, and support across the system development lifecycle including requirements, functional specifications, design, custom development, integration, testing, and deployment. The EAS teams maintain a strong focus on structuring, managing, and implementing complex technical solutions requiring strong business focus and process optimization, and deliver significant and measurable business value. S/he supports business functions such as Child Care Licensing, Adult Protective Services, Food Programs, Appeals and Hearing, Family Assistance, Child Support Enforcement, and other business units, as needed.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Recommends changes or enhancements to existing applications or processes which improve the quality of services provided to customers.
- Recommends viable alternative technical solutions to business issues/opportunities as they arise.
Interacting With Computers:
- Develops software according to the design specifications using established software application standards.
- Changes software to address any unexpected or inaccurate processes identified in the system test or through user feedback.
Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings:
- Monitors and reviews information from materials, events, or the environment, to detect or assess problems.
- Reviews and monitors error logs and brings to the attention of Software Developer-Lead or supervisor.
- Troubleshoots operational or software problems and recommends solutions to the supervisor.
- Implements the recommended resolution to operational or software problems.
- Reads and interprets written functional specifications.
- Work with Business Systems Analysis to establish functional requirements.
- Validates information gathered to present to lead and/or supervisor.
- Examines system specification, input/output reports, existing equipment, security protocols, current application software and current configuration and system interfaces to understand how the current system operates.
- Coordinates with the Software Developer-Lead or supervisor to obtain project task.
- Generates data to test programs and/or system conditions by extracting data from existing sources or entering new data.
- Tests and troubleshoots programs using generated data to determine if the program produces the correct execution sequence and programs interface as specified.
- Modifies program design narrative based on user feedback and walkthrough results.
Estimating the Quantifiable Characteristics of Products, Events, or Information:
Provides reliable and reasonable estimates of man-hours required for programming assignments.
Verifies that project goals and objectives are met on a timely basis.
Schedules completion dates for tasks.
Making Decisions and Solving Problems:
- Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Determines the appropriate methods and functions to solve problems according to established standards.
Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge:
- Keeps up-to-date technically and applies new knowledge to your job.
- Demonstrates continued technical skills development by application of new techniques and programming procedures.
- Completes training assignments related to various technologies through online research and/or training sessions.
Analyzing Data or Information:
- Identifies the underlying principles, reasons, or facts of information by breaking down information or data into separate parts.
- Compares current system processes to proposed system changes in order to determine the potential impact on other systems and business operations.
- Analyzes existing data for accuracy and completeness.
Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates:
- Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Performs a system walkthrough with information technology peers and supervisors to identify and correct any design problems or ineffective program logic or proposed coding.
- Reviews project specifications with supervisor/lead or other appropriate personnel to ensure that programs are moved to appropriate production environments, established standards are met, and that data integrity is maintained.
- Provides status reports for supervisor summarizing the status of assignments as it relates to the deliverable dates and the impact on user business activities.
- Prepares program documentation which includes the test plan, program specifications, program narrative, client approval, and results of walkthroughs and testing.
- Conducts project relevant presentations to stakeholders and/or management and answers any related questions.
- Documents a conversion plan describing the steps required for data migration.
- Keep up-to-date technically and applies new knowledge to your job.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree and one year of professional level experience in systems analysis, application design, or software development of business information systems.
The following are desired qualifications.
Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or related field. Professional level experience in the following may be substituted for the required Information Technology associate’s degree on a year-for-year basis to a maximum substitution of two years: systems analysis, application design, or software development of business information systems.
Experience in Public Sector
Experience with mainframe applications, including the ability to step through and understand COBOL source code.
This position requires:
Dedication and commitment to customer service focused delivery of solutions.
Understanding of SDLC and service delivery models.
Knowledgeable of code reviews to ensure compliance with best practices, reusability, maintainability and scalability.
Superior problem solving ability for addressing escalated issues.
Familiarity with Atlassian suite of software development and collaboration tools.
Familiarity with Agile and Scrum methodologies.
Experience developing in a Linux-based Java/J2EE environment.
Experience with relational databases.
Experience with Red Hat JBoss EAP, Apache Tomcat or comparable application server.
Experience creating web services and APIs.
Experience juggling multiple priorities and deadlines.
Demonstrated flexibility, resilience, and resourcefulness.
Demonstrated exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
Ability to organize and plan work to meet goals and deadlines.
Ability to understand and adapt to new technologies/technology platforms.
Commensurate with qualifications.
The State of TN is an Equal Opportunity Employer