Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee
Community & Nonprofit , Finance & Accounting
Position Description / Responsibilities
JOB TITLE: Staff Accountant
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Yes
FLSA STATUS: Salary, Exempt
LOCATION: Nashville, TN
BIGGER AND BETTER TOGETHER
For over 50 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee has served young people in the Middle TN region. Our work supports our belief that every child has the ability to succeed and thrive in life. Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (Bigs) and youth (Littles). Through our commitment to quality, innovation, and the passion we have for our work, we develop and sustain positive, life-changing relationships that have a direct and lasting impact on the lives of our youth and the adults who mentor them.
Our Mission is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth. As noted by our Vision, we are driven by a future in which all youth achieve their full potential.
WE ARE AN AGENCY THAT CELEBRATES DIFFERENCES
We show each other dignity through our partnerships, decisions, and language.
We intentionally engage, represent, and partner with our diverse communities.
We demonstrate our values by learning together with staff, board, volunteers, youth, families, and investors to think and act with sensitivity and intentionality.
Driven by the voice of our stakeholders, our agency develops responsive and respectful programming and builds strategic and thoughtful alliances.
We want people of all backgrounds to see themselves represented and included in our work, so we actively seek to diversify our team and bring more voices to the table. We know that teams perform at their highest when they feel supported and that they belong. Each of our team members brings unique perspectives and skills, and we are committed to building a culture where voices are heard, differences are celebrated, and everyone has the opportunity to do meaningful work. At Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN, you will be inspired by talented, passionate colleagues who will motivate you to do and be your best. We are bigger and better together!
About the Role
Each employee at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee helps extend the agency's mission in particular ways, as outlined in the position description. The essential functions of the position include but are not limited to the following:
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Staff Accountant performs a range of accounting functions to ensure smooth and efficient financial operations of the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee office. The Staff Accountant will handle multiple tasks with deadlines, manage agency financial operations, and provide transparent and complete reports to management. The duties of the position encompass several aspects of nonprofit financial management, including but not limited to grant processes and reconciliation, bookkeeping, accrual accounting, budgeting, and financial statements. This position plays a vital role in our company’s operations, ensuring accuracy and compliance.
- Manage and direct all financial accounting operations
- Ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) Operations
- Assist with the process and oversight of grant management and reconciliation
- Creates the preparation of monthly financial statements and the corporate annual report
- Reviews budget reports and assists other departments to prepare annual budgets
- Maintains a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Complies with local, state, and federal government requirements
- Identifies and recommends updates to accounting processes and procedures
- Verifies payment of invoices associated with accounts payable and ensures payments are charged to the appropriate accounts
- Provides outside auditors with assistance; gathers necessary account information and documents to perform an annual audit
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial and management reporting data for CEO/COO and Board of Directors
- Recommends financial actions by analyzing accounting options
- Supervisory Responsibilities
This Job May Be For You…
- Previous experience managing diverse revenue streams and grant processes, preferably in a nonprofit organization
- Working knowledge of MIP Abila accounting software
- Knowledge of and experience with accrual accounting
- Outstanding communication skills
- Ability to take direction and work independently, taking initiative within areas of responsibility
- Positive attitude and ability to adjust to changing priorities and growing responsibilities
- Precision and attention to detail
- Ability to contribute in a team-oriented environment
- Belief in the agency’s mission
- Strong Microsoft proficiency, particularly Microsoft Excel
- Understanding of GAAP in a nonprofit organization
Bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance or relevant degree; MBA or CPA preferred with 5-7 years of high-level accounting experience.
If this sounds like the position and organization for you, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Your Name – Staff Accountant” in the subject line OR mail to
Director of Employee Experience
1704 Charlotte Ave. Suite 130
Nashville, TN 37203
No phone calls, please. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Big Brothers Big sisters of Middle Tennessee celebrates diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.