STATISTICAL RESEARCH SPEC
State of Tennessee
Finance & Accounting
Position Description / Responsibilities
Summary: Under general supervision, is responsible for professional statistical analytic and research work of considerable difficulty and performs related work as required.
Distinguishing Features: An employee in this class performs independent research and statistical analytic studies and may supervise a unit involved in the development of new statistical analytic studies and programs.
1. Decision Quality
2. Written Communication
3. Integrity and Trust
4. Timely Decision Making
6. Business Acumen
7. Intellectual Horsepower
8. Problem Solving
9. Customer Focus
10. Standing Alone
1. Advanced knowledge of mathematical and statistical principles and applications
2. Advanced knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices
3. Advanced knowledge of business, management, and education principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources, leadership techniques, production methods, and coordination of people and resources
4. Advanced knowledge of communication, dissemination techniques and methods for electronic media production, communication, oral, and visual presentations
5. Intermediate knowledge of computer hardware and software, including applications and basic programming principles
6. Advanced knowledge of laws, legal codes, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, and agency rules
7. Advanced knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer services, including customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction
1. Advanced skill using logic and reason to identify strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
2. Advanced skill using mathematical and statistical principles and applications to solve problems
3. Advanced skill in oral or written communication to convey complex information effectively
4. Advanced skill identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
5. Advanced skill in informed listening and understanding of points made, questions asked, and resolutions proposed
6. Intermediate skill reading and understanding work related documents containing complex ideas and theories
7. Intermediate skill utilizing software applications for analysis and evaluation
8. Intermediate skill in basic accounting and business methods to manage financial resources
9. Advanced skill in management of one's own time and the time of others to achieve goals
10. Advanced skill in understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making
11. Intermediate skill in monitoring or assessing individual and organizational performance to make improvements or take corrective action
12. Advanced skill in applying scientific methods and principles to problem solving
13. Advanced skill interacting with team members to accomplish the mission of the department
14. Advanced skill in examining relative costs and benefits to make an informed decision
15. Advance skill in identifying measures or system indicators to determine how a system should work, the actions needed to improve/correct performance and how changes will affect outcomes
16. Intermediate skill in motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, in order to achieve the desired outcomes
1. Advanced ability to choose the correct mathematical and/or statistical methods and formulas to solve problems
2. Advanced ability to verbally communicate ideas in a thorough and accurate manner so that others will understand
3. Advanced ability to detect and identify problems and potential solutions
4. Advanced ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing
5. Advanced ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand
6. Advanced ability to utilize different rules, approaches, and methodologies, through inductive and deductive reasoning, in order to identify or detect patterns, generate ideas, and produce creative ways to solve problems
7. Advanced ability to listen and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences
8. Advanced ability to quickly make sense of, combine, and organize information into meaningful patterns
Education and Experience: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a master's degree in statistics, applied statistics, social or behavioral sciences, health sciences, business, business administration, or public policy and experience equivalent to two years full-time professional work developing research methodology and/or directing statistical research.
Substitution of Education for Experience: Additional graduate course work from an accredited college or university in statistics, applied statistics, social or behavioral sciences, health sciences, business, business administration, and/or public policy may substitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis to a maximum of two years (e.g., an additional 36 graduate quarter hours in one or a combination of the above listed fields may substitute for one year of the required experience).
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in statistics, applied statistics, social or behavioral sciences, health sciences, business, business administration, or public policy and experience equivalent to five years full-time professional work developing research methodology and/or directing statistical research.
Note: A transcript is required for a proper evaluation for this class.
Necessary Special Qualifications: None.
Examination Method: Education and Experience, 100%, for Preferred Service positions.
Pursuant to the State of Tennessee’s Workplace Discrimination and Harassment policy, the State is firmly committed to the principle of fair and equal employment opportunities for its citizens and strives to protect the rights and opportunities of all people to seek, obtain, and hold employment without being subjected to illegal discrimination and harassment in the workplace. It is the State’s policy to provide an environment free of discrimination and harassment of an individual because of that person’s race, color, national origin, age (40 and over), sex, pregnancy, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status or any other category protected by state and/or federal civil rights laws.