Statistical Research Spec
State of Tennessee
Position Description / Responsibilities
This position will serve as a Statistical Research Specialist in the Data Strategies Unit (DSU) and reports to the Director 4 and is responsible for oversight and governance of the department's strategic use of data in order to drive business decisions and success.
- Provides statistical information, interprets statistical / organizational model results, and reports to senior and mid-level management in support of departmental mission
- Interpreting data, analyzing results using statistical techniques
- Developing and implementing data analyses, data collection systems and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality
- Conduct full life-cycle analysis to include requirements, activities and design. Data analysts will develop analysis and reporting capabilities.
- Develop and implement data collection systems, data analytics and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality
- Acquire data from primary or secondary data sources and maintain databases / data systems
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets
- Filter and 'clean' data by reviewing computer reports, printouts, and performance indicators to locate and correct code problems
- Work with management to prioritize business and information needs
- Create reports and visualization of data that can be consumed by an audience with limited data backgrounds.
- Conducts descriptive, predictive and prescriptive analytics.
- Locate and define new process improvement opportunities
- 3 or more years' experience as a data analyst or business data analyst
- Technical expertise regarding data models, database design development, data mining and segmentation techniques
- Strong knowledge of and experience with reporting packages, databases and programming
- Knowledge of statistics and experience using statistical packages for analyzing datasets (Excel, SPSS, SAS, etc.)
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- 2 or more years' Data mining experience
- Adept at queries, report writing and presenting findings
- Demonstrated experience developing effective KPI's, dashboards and making executive presentations
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Data Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Engineering, Statistics or related field.
- 5 or more years of experience performing descriptive, predictive and prescriptive analytics may be substituted for the education requirement.
- Ability to collaborate effectively and work as part of a team
- Strong attention to detail