Statistical Research Specialist
State of Tennessee
Business & Professional Services
Position Description / Responsibilities
nt of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services (TDMHSAS) is charged with planning for and promoting an array of services from prevention and early intervention to treatment and recovery. TDMHSAS operates four regional mental health institutes, contracts with mental health and substance abuse agencies to offer inpatient and community services.
TDMHSAS seeks an experienced individual to serve as a Statistical Research Specialist in the TDMHSAS – Division of Substance Abuse Services. TDMHSAS is the designated opioid authority for the state; the Single State Agency (SSA) responsible for planning, organizing, delivering, and monitoring critical substance use disorder services; and provides consultation to TennCare on behavioral health issues. To support initiatives in the Division of Substance Abuse Services, the successful candidate will gather, analyze and report data to inform the work of prevention, treatment and recovery programs across the state of Tennessee:
· Working with grant officials, program staff, partner agencies and individuals.
· Conducting secondary research, reviewing existing data, and contacting other sources to obtain additional information.
· Designing data collection processes and managing statewide data collection including extracting data from administrative databases; entering or importing statistical data into a database; verifying data for completeness and accuracy; maintaining databases of historical data.
· Analyzing and interpreting data including selecting and applying statistical techniques to test hypotheses; performing descriptive, predictive and inferential statistical analyses; and using computer software and statistical techniques.
· Writing policy briefs, providing information for continuation applications, and Institutional Review Board proposals.
· Developing data templates and products to inform prevention, treatment and recovery planning and policy.
· Facilitating the utilization of research by creating charts, tables and other graphical illustrations of findings.
· Building state- and local-level monitoring systems of substance use and abuse.
· Establishing cross-departmental data agreements to share information about substance use and abuse in Tennessee.
· Giving presentations and writing reports for various audiences.
· Graduation from an accredited college or university with a master's degree in statistics, social or behavioral science, epidemiology or health administration, or public policy
· Experience equivalent to two years full-time professional work developing research methodology and/or directing statistical research.
o Experience in a health care organization is preferred.
· Applicant must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills; must be fluent in the use of Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS) and Microsoft Word and Excel software; must have experience with data warehouses and Tableau software preferred; must have excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with people at all levels within the agency and with other agencies; must have knowledge of contemporary program evaluation practices, including longitudinal statistical methods; and must be able to work with a team in a fast-paced public policy environment.
Please submit all resumes and inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org