TDOT Aeronautics Director
Tennessee Department of Transportation
Transportation & Utilities
Position Description / Responsibilities
Salary: $145,000 annually
TDOT’s Aeronautics Director role is the driving force for Tennessee’s air transportation system. The Aeronautics Director is a specialist in all things related to air transportation, from planning, development, promotion, construction, and operations. The Director must foster relationships with a myriad of stakeholders, both inside the organization and out, paving the path for the statewide aviation system to be successful. As a result, everybody in the aviation community knows the Director and is eager to seek them out if they have a business or operational improvement in mind that they think the Department should consider. They are adept at knowing how to work cross-functionally and driving change in environments. The Director must use those relationships to find stakeholders with whom to partner to promote aviation projects. In addition, they also understand the importance of the aviation community. As a result, they allocate a notable portion of their time to intentional team-building, coaching, and problem-solving with their stakeholders.
Essential Job Duties
- Oversees and assists in administration of Flight Operations, Programming and Planning, Project Management, and Administration.
- Oversees financial management of State funds and funds from the Federal Aviation Administration.
- Provides leadership and direction for program management leads in a matrix structure.
- Develops budgets and manages financial performance in alignment with TDOT financial and procurement process to ensure transparency and accountability.
- Directs all project management, flight, and financial operations in addition to the oversight of the Aeronautics Division.
- Monitors detailed record keeping for compliance with State regulations.
- Coordinates with the TN Aeronautics Commission (TAC) to revise and update policy and to formulate recommendations to the Commissioner of TDOT.
For a more in-depth description of this position, please see the link below:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 12 Years of Demonstrated Competency in project, business, or financial management, civil engineering, or aviation including at least 5 years of management experience.
Application for the Aeronautics Director requires completion and submission of the following two items:
- Letter explaining applicant interest in the position.
- Résumé that is a maximum of two (2) pages.
The two items should be emailed to TDOT.Careers@tn.gov by November 30, 2022.