TDOT Asset Management Director
Tennessee Department of Transportation
Transportation & Utilities
Position Description / Responsibilities
Salary: $145,000 annually
TDOT’s Asset Management Director (AMD) role is charged with overseeing the methods, processes, and standards designed to optimize the service life management of TDOT's extensive inventory of assets. The AMD ensures appropriate and effective data collection and analysis to best inform TDOT's asset management decisions and actions. The AMD goes beyond managing assets, they are an integrator that connects technical, engineering, financial, and other specialty functions throughout the agency. Though the role does have a strong technical component that requires a firm grasp of emerging technologies relating to asset management, it is a role focused on coaching the team to advance an enterprise vision and provide guidance on best practices. This position must lead the effort to manage TDOT's assets in such a way as to optimize service life performance within constrained budgets, but above all, must be a passionate advocate for the vital role Asset Management plays within the agency helping to integrate the contributions of many different functional group’s activities to ensure the right priorities are set to meet the agency’s mission. They are an inquisitive problem-solver and a strong communicator that can easily translate complex concepts to a wide range of audiences.
Essential Job Duties
- Manages the overall leadership and direction for the TDOT’s statewide Asset Management discipline.
- Oversees the Statewide Asset Management Division as part of a matrix organization and provides leadership and direction for both statewide and regional asset management lead workers and their programs.
- Leads efforts to develop asset management performance metrics based on asset type.
- Updates and develops new comprehensive asset management software that provides real time data and provides necessary training to ensure consistency and accuracy.
- Develops and updates policies, procedures, and manuals needed to ensure consistent application of the TDOT asset management plan.
- Ensures program compliance with applicable standards and regulations.
- Maintains and provides guidance for the TDOT’s current asset management programs.
- Crafts asset management plans that complement the TDOT strategic goals in accordance with TDOT’s current asset management programs and the development of new needed data sets in the areas of Structures, Pavement, Ancillary Structures, Fleet and Facilities, Hydraulics, Maintenance and System Operations.
- Establishes and implements the Transportation Asset Management Plan and emergency management plans.
- Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders to align project development budgets that drive the performance goals.
For a more in-depth description of this position, please see the below link:https://www.tdot.tn.gov/PublicDocuments/HR/Asset-Management-Director-PD.pdf
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering
- Licensed PE in Civil Engineering
- 12 Years of Demonstrated Competency in a combination of transportation engineering, asset management, data management, data analysis, program funding, and transportation projects, including at least 3 years of management experience and 2 years supervising professional and engineering staff.
Application for the Asset Management Director requires completion and submission of the following two items:
- Letter explaining applicant interest in the position.
- Résumé that is a maximum of two (2) pages.
The two items should be emailed to TDOT.Careers@tn.gov by November 30, 2022.