TDOT Maintenance Operations Director
Tennessee Department of Transportation
Architecture & Engineering , Construction & Extraction , Government
Position Description / Responsibilities
Salary: $130,000 per year
The Maintenance Operations Division (MOD) is responsible for managing and creating direct lines of communication to all parts of field operations. The goal of the MOD is to create and facilitate policy and procedures for field tasks through communication and observation of field processes. This is balanced with the tactical management of all transportation network resources and achieved by technical research, replication of best practices, and detailed categorization of TDOT resources to optimize the production of work units. The MOD Director will be responsible for leading, supporting, and integrating the culture of productive and proactive field tasks and their roll up into program areas.
This position reports to the Assistant Chief Engineer of Operations. The Maintenance Operations Division includes fifteen headquarter positions. This position will lead this team focused on capital projects, field operations support, and fleet/administration.
- Manages leadership and direction for the Headquarters Maintenance Operations Division.
- Provides programmatic direction and support to Maintenance Operations employees in regional, district, and local units.
- Directly oversees Headquarters Maintenance Operations programs including Capital Projects, Vegetation Management, Ferry Operations, Rest Areas and Welcome Centers, Fleet Management, and Garage Operations.
- Develops, updates, and manages Standard Operating Guidelines and Procedures for use by operations employees statewide.
- Oversees the TDOT Emergency Services program including disaster response team preparedness exercises and Emergency Services Coordinator/Liaison services to the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency.
- Provides guidance and direction to regional and district management on task standards, interpretation of policies and procedures, and to ensure that all TDOT resources are utilized effectively to deliver the greatest benefit to the State of Tennessee
For a more in depth job description of this posting, please see the below link:
The minimum required knowledge, skill, and abilities to satisfactorily perform the job duties are acquired through graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering and ten (10) years of related transportation engineering experience. At least five (5) years of supervisory experience and a Professional Engineering License is required.
Candidates should have a strong foundation in civil engineering, construction, transportation asset preservation, and project management oversight and possess an extensive understanding of transportation projects.
Qualified candidates should be able to demonstrate skills in communication, team building, delegation, decision-making, and time management.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate the ability to resolve conflicts, coach and motivate others, build high-performing teams, and create a culture of accountability, collaboration, and accomplishment Qualified candidates should also be familiar with human resource management related to hiring, training, mentoring, and discipline.
Application for the Maintenance Operations Director requires completion and submission of the following two items:
1. Letter explaining applicant interest in the position.
2. Résumé that is a maximum of two (2) pages.
The two items should be emailed to TDOT.Careers@tn.gov by November 30, 2021.