TDOT Maintenance Operations Director
Tennessee Department of Transportation
Transportation & Utilities
Position Description / Responsibilities
Salary: $145,000 annually
TDOT’s Maintenance Operations Director (MOD) role is the engine behind TDOT’s operations, without whom nothing would happen. They are self-motivated go-getters who use their leadership and mentoring skills to bring structure and coordination to sustaining and operating TDOT’s transportation system. The MOD uses their exceptional planning and above-average people skills to ensure that all routine and emergency maintenance operations across the state are executed well. To TDOT stakeholders, the MOD is an overseer of their activities but a beloved one whose opinion they value. Working across all groups allows the MOD to cross-pollinate innovation and industry-wide best practices at the Department. The MOD must foster relationships with a myriad of stakeholders, both inside the organization and out, paving the path for their employees to be successful. They are adept at knowing how to work cross-functionally and driving change in environments. As a result, they allocate a notable portion of their time to intentional team-building, coaching, and problem-solving with and for their employees.
Essential Job Duties
- Leadership and direction for the Headquarters Maintenance Operations Division.
- Provides programmatic direction and support to Maintenance Operations employees in regional, district, and local units.
- Directly oversees Headquarters Maintenance Operations programs including Fleet/Garage Operations, Vegetation Management, Purchasing Support Facilities/Ferry Operations, and Rest Areas and Welcome Centers.
- Develops, updates, and manages Standard Operating Guidelines and Procedures for use by operations employees statewide.
- Oversees the Emergency Services program including disaster response team preparedness exercises and Emergency Services Coordinator/Liaison services to the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency.
- Oversees the Capital Projects Program that manages and provides oversight to the capital building program for the department.
- Provides guidance and direction to regional and district management on task standards, interpretation of policies and procedures, and to ensure that all TDOT resources are utilized effectively to deliver the greatest benefit to the State of Tennessee.
- Oversees and provides strategic direction for the Transportation Worker Competency Program which is used to train all levels of Transportation Workers in the required skill sets to safely perform daily job duties.
For a more in-depth description of this position, please see the link below:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering
- Licensed PE in Civil Engineering
- 12 Years of Demonstrated Competency in civil engineering, construction, transportation asset preservation, and project management oversight, including at least 3 years of management experience and 2 years supervising professional and engineering staff.
Application for the TDOT Maintenance Operations Director requires completion and submission of the following two items:
- Letter explaining applicant interest in the position.
- Résumé that is a maximum of two (2) pages.
The two items should be emailed to TDOT.Careers@tn.gov by November 30, 2022.