TDOT Project Manager 1
TN Department of Transportation
Transportation & Logistics
Position Description / Responsibilities
The Alternative Delivery Project Manager 1 is a project management position that will be directly responsible for delivering alternative delivery projects, from concept to completion, having the least amount of complexity with respect to schedule, scope, and budget. This position has a pivotal role in fostering the implementation of national best practices for alternative delivery that drive innovation, improve performance, and ensure project alignment to achieve established departmental goals. The Region Alternative Delivery Project Manager 1 position will lead Alternative Delivery Project Teams through empowerment, communication, and delegated authority that increases the ownership and responsibility of each team member.
This position requires an extensive understanding of the contractual rules governing alternative delivery contracts; experience in leveraging innovation to better achieve project goals; effective collaboration with a multi-disciplined team consisting of designers, contractors, owner’s representatives, and managers; efficiency in processing large volumes of information quickly and accurately; and critical thinking and engineering judgment to problem solve and make well-informed decisions independently.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Manage resources and assist in the management of external partners, together with the Professional Services Division for the procurement of alternative delivery projects of minimal complexity needed to achieve scheduled and unscheduled alternative delivery requirements, including leading the development of the Request for Proposals (RFP), management of contract tasks and compliance, and completion of consultant grading for Alternative Delivery projects.
- Ensure there is a direct relationship between quality and work outcomes by implementing the Alternative Delivery Section’s Quality Assurance Process in conjunction with the requirements set forth by the RFP. Coordinate with the Quality Team Lead in assisting with quality control tasks, including ensuring compliance with the RFP, eliminating issues involving reviewer preferences, and providing submittal reviews within the timeframe allotted by the RFP.
- Assist in the development of Consultant Acquisition Plans (CAP) and the oversight of external partners by serving on selection committees for Alternative Delivery projects, attending project-specific marketing meetings, leading the determination of scoring criteria, leading project information sessions, and leading de-briefs with design-build teams.
- Serve as the leading force in driving delivery and innovation for alternative delivery projects, encouraging Project Teams to develop and implement innovative processes and design elements that will improve the efficiency of TDOT’s systems and programs.
- Lead Alternative Delivery teams in unison with the Resident Engineer as part of a matrix organization in developing the project vision for those Alternative Delivery projects having the least amount of risk to the Department; defining critical goals and intended outcomes for the RFP, schedule, budget, and quality; ensuring contract documents foster a competitive bidding environment; reviewing Scopes of Work in collaboration with the Project Teams, TDOT Environment, TDOT Maintenance, and TDOT Construction, and other TDOT Divisions, as applicable; applying context-sensitive design strategies; effectively coordinating with other units within TDOT to mitigate constructability and maintenance concerns; proactively assessing risk factors; and forecasting the cause and effect of Alternative Technical Concepts (ATCs) to the RFP language, project cost, construction timing, and maintenance requirements.
- Provide exceptional customer service to both internal and external customers, exercising effective listening skills, providing prompt responses, maintaining complete and accurate documentation, and communicating effectively.
- Remain current on federal and state legislation, design standards, and guidelines related to alternative delivery methods, and maintain knowledge of national innovative delivery methods used for the delivery of transportation projects.
- Implement and maintain a tracking mechanism that ensures all workflow items are addressed as per the RFP.
- Ensure the Region’s Alternative Delivery projects are consistent, predictable, and repeatable by actively participating in partnering efforts across TDOT disciplines, resource agencies, design consultants, and the construction industry to provide for consistently high levels of achievement, mitigation of risk, and an established track record of success.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 6 years of demonstrated competency in a transportation related functional area
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification or Professional Engineer (PE) License
- Knowledge in Alternative Delivery Projects preferred
Applications must be submitted online in order to be considered for the position.
Please submit one application for consideration. Interested applications should apply online at:
- Select TDOT PROJECT MANAGER 1 - 08242023-49552
Applications must be submitted by Wednesday, September 6th.