State of Tennessee
Finance & Accounting
Position Description / Responsibilities
Tennessee Public Utility Commission
Base Pay: Salary Range: $3,738 - $6,726/month
Employee Type: Full Time
Industry: Public Utilities; Government
Manages Others: No
Required Travel: Occasionally
Relocation Expenses Covered: No
ORGANIZATION AND POSITION:
The Tennessee Public Utility Commission (Commission) is the regulatory body created by the General Assembly to provide general supervisory and regulatory oversight over all aspects of Tennessee's privately-owned telephone, natural gas, electric, water and wastewater public utilities, and provides administrative and investigative support to the Underground Utility Damage Enforcement Board. The Commission also administers popular consumer assistance programs, like the Do Not Call and Do Not Fax programs and the Telecommunications Device Access Program. In addition, Commission personnel inspect approximately 40,000 miles of natural gas distribution and transmission lines that service over 1,356,000 Tennessee customers.
Under general supervision, the position is responsible for professional auditing and financial analysis work ranging from routine to considerable difficultly involving the auditing, analysis and overall investigation of utility financial operations and procedures in determining just and reasonable utility rates, terms of service and compliance with applicable statutes and Commission rules, as well as related work involving utility regulation.
1. Audits and examines financial records of utility companies to determine compliance with accepted accounting principles and practices and adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules and regulations.
2. Analyzes financial data of public utilities to determine appropriate regulatory and
accounting adjustments to financial information.
3. Investigates utilities financial information to determine current earnings levels.
4. Assists in developing appropriate methodologies to forecast future earnings, such as
historical trending and review of current economic conditions.
5. Prepares historical and forecasted financial results for utilities (balance sheet and income statement).
6. Reviews and audits cost studies submitted by utilities to verify accuracy and
reasonableness, and to determine compliance with regulatory costing principles and
7. Designs electronic spreadsheets for internal departmental use to facilitate
8. Conducts research, including results of financial analysis, and writes reports and
recommendations for assigned utility cases.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in accounting, finance or economics. Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
Pursuant to the State of Tennessee’s Workplace Discrimination and Harassment policy, the State is firmly committed to the principle of fair and equal employment opportunities for its citizens and strives to protect the rights and opportunities of all people to seek, obtain, and hold employment without being subjected to illegal discrimination and harassment in the workplace. It is the State’s policy to provide an environment free of
discrimination and harassment of an individual because of that person’s race, color, national origin, age (40 and over), sex, pregnancy, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status or any other category protected by state and/or
federal civil rights laws
Expire 27 Sep 2019
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume. college transcript and salary
requirements by email to: email@example.com or by mail to the following:
Michelle Mairs, Deputy Director of Utilities Division
Tennessee Public Utility Commission
4th Floor, Andrew Jackson State Office Bldg
502 Deaderick Street
Nashville, Tennessee 37243