Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee
Community & Nonprofit , Transportation & Utilities
Position Description / Responsibilities
We are hiring for a full-time job to join the Project Preserve department at Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee.
Who we are:
If you want to make a real difference in the lives of those in need, Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee is the right workplace for you. Help us make a lasting impact for those in our community while also growing in a challenging and rewarding career.
Selected eight times as a Top Workplace by the Tennessean, Second Harvest has been providing food to our more than 1 million neighbors at risk of hunger in Middle and West Tennessee since 1978. In support of our mission, which is “to provide food to people facing hunger and work to advance hunger solutions” – last year, we distributed more than 41 million pounds of food to more than 450 Partner Agencies, providing more than 36.5 million nutritious meals to hungry children, families and seniors throughout our 46-county service area. To learn more about our work, visit our website secondharvestmidtn.org and our social media.
What you’ll do:
Summary: The Transportation Specialist provides first-in-class freight and logistical services to food bank customers for Project Preserve, a social enterprise program of the Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee. This position ensures all transportation processes and procedures are followed and administered to ensure customer satisfaction and successful supply chain process flow. This position supports and fosters our deep commitment to diversity and inclusion, which is the foundation for ensuring a culture of belonging for all personnel.
- Acts as primary in-house contact to maintain close communication and healthy relationships with freight carriers and brokers to provide prompt service and competitive rates for all outbound customer orders and inbound inventory replenishment.
- Establishes and maintains strong relationships with multiple carriers/brokers and provides long-term, competitive freight rates for all lanes served throughout all markets served. Communicates our needs respectfully and with enthusiasm and professionalism. Tenders less than truckload (LTL) and full truckload (FTL) freight rates from multiple carriers.
- Apprises Director, Supply Chain of changes/ fluctuations in market as well as opportunities and issues with existing vendor options.
- Collaborates with the internal Finance team to process all freight bills promptly and provides prompt input and resolution to all invoice issues.
- Supplies prompt feedback to the Project Preserve team and is the in-house expert for the current transportation trends for the markets we serve.
When & Where:
- Schedule: Typical daytime schedule to work primarily out of our Martin Distribution Center in Nashville from Monday - Friday from 7:30 AM – 4 PM. Occasional duties may be necessary, as well as responding to issues, outside of normal working hours (e.g., disaster response, community events, etc.).
- Travel: Occasional daytime travel required, up to 10% of work week within the local service area. Current driver’s license with copy of current auto insurance and acceptable Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) results required.
- Flexibility: our flexible work program is a strategic tool to achieve organizational goals, empower employees to do their best work and foster engagement by supporting high performance, business continuity as well as wellbeing and work-life-balance. WorkFlex arrangements are complex, specific to individuals and roles and include the following options: alternative schedule, compressed week, reduced and job sharing.
- Essential business/ first responder: In instances of a federal, state or locally declared emergency, Second Harvest is typically considered an essential business service and emergency responder. All employees may be required to perform regular or emergent duties on-site. Employee safety is balanced with business and community necessity. Some positions are more likely to be required on-site than others.
Is this you?:
- Education: High School Diploma (or equivalent) required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Experience: 3+ years of related experience and/or training, of which 2+ years of experience with scheduling inbound and outbound freight loads.
- Skills: Intermediate to advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office, Outlook, Excel, and Word; Technical proficiency to learn new databases and software; Successful history of negotiation and relationship management of vendors; Confidence and professionalism to interact with employees across all levels of the organization; Successful in a fast-paced and sales-focused work environment; Organizes, coordinates, and directs projects; Strong oral and written communication abilities, both internally and externally.
- Other requirements: our pre-hire process requires acceptable results from the following: professional reference feedback, criminal background, and a pre-employment drug test. Criminal backgrounds are evaluated on a case-by-case basis considering several factors (timing, frequency, severity and job relation).
Think this sounds like a role and workplace where you would thrive? Find out more information about how to apply on our website: http://www.secondharvestmidtn..... Thanks for your interest in working for Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle TN. We love it here and think you will too.