Vice President of Business Development
Tennessee Hospital Association
Business & Professional Services , Health Care
Position Description / Responsibilities
A wholly-owned subsidiary of the Tennessee Hospital Association (THA), THA Center for Innovative Solutions (TCIS) primary focus is on driving value to Tennessee’s hospitals by improving members’ operational effectiveness and financial margin. TCIS also supports THA members through programs and partnerships which deliver high value.
Under the direction of the Senior Vice President (SVP) of THA Center for Innovative Solutions (TCIS), the person in this position has responsibility with TCIS for member relations as assigned, product sales, and business growth to attain yearly revenue goals, oversight of select key business relationships and new business development.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB: (listed in order of importance) List your principal accountabilities; identify what you do, what end results you are accountable for, and how you measure your success.
- The ability to adapt to a changing work environment and meet challenges presented throughout the day.
- Must be available in the office during regular office hours unless job responsibilities require otherwise.
- Must be available for out of town travel, including overnight, approximately 50 percent of the time, be able to drive an automobile and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Member Relations and Product Sales
Under the direction of the SVP of TCIS, this person in this position has responsibility within TCIS for member relations in order to create an environment with assigned THA members that fosters a welcoming spirit as opportunities are identified and presented. While other TCIS staff will have
relationships with members as well, this position will have a more direct and primary focus than others. This will be accomplished by:
- Making personal visits at hospitals, system corporate offices and other locations, as appropriate, to inform them of the opportunities within TCIS and support TCIS and its vendors in securing contracts for services.
- Developing and maintaining effective relationships with key individuals in all assigned hospitals and health systems. This includes C-Suite members, other key senior management, department directors and appropriate corporate office personnel.
- Working with other TCIS staff to make sure that all areas where relationships are needed are appropriately addressed.
- Working with key business partners to influence member receptivity, as appropriate.
Oversight of Key Business Relationships and Select Owned Programs
- Responsible for management of relationships with key business partners.
- Responsible for continued development and improvement of “owned” programs as assigned.
New Business Development
- Monitor requirements of THA members relative to services needed and the right mix of vendors/programs required to provide those services.
- As part of the TCIS team, develop new opportunities for business relationships and/or programs that contribute to the overall goal of bringing value to members and revenue to THA, which includes identification of these opportunities, due diligence review, and contract negotiation and implementation.
Vendor Approval Process
- General oversight of the overall review, negotiation, and approval process.
- Directs and leads the value matrix execution and evaluation.
- Directs the due diligence reviews of all vendor applicants.
- Ensures the collection and understanding of all data and information necessary to make an informed decision.
- Determines the suitability of vendors and the type of vendor relationship to be considered.
- Negotiates with vendors to maximize TCIS and member value.
- Responsible for the timely presentation to management and board of all vendors selected for Strategic Partner status.
- Assists the Senior Director of Marketing and Business Development with the Recommended Solutions approval process and assures adherence to established procedures for vendor approval.
- Builds and manages relationships with vendors and continuously measures customer and vendor satisfaction.
- Develops annual goals and initiatives with each TCIS vendor and oversees and directs the implementation of annual initiatives as mutually agreed.
- Assures vendors’ contractual performance by monitoring and reviewing financial and operational objectives—oversees contractual relations to ensure vendors meet or exceed obligations.
- Works with Senior Director of Marketing and Business Development to assure that all marketing and promotion endeavors are in sync with vendor goals and initiatives.
- Addresses minor disputes and contractual management.
- Participate in TCIS strategic planning process to include:
- Strategic thinking to assist in the development of future directions and overall goals.
- Assuming total responsibility for development of select new product lines and programs.
- Assist with the TCIS Board of Directors to include planning, presentations, etc.
- Serve as senior leader of TCIS in absence of the SVP.
- As a member of THA Senior Management staff, participate in THA related activities as directed.
Dollar value: >$1.5 million
ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE: (Positions reporting directly to you, if any, and their areas of responsibility)
GUIDANCE & DIRECTION: (Policies, precedents or procedures that guide your work)
- TCIS strategic plan delineates departmental goals.
- The TCIS Board of Directors approves goals and objectives and reviews/approves vendor partnerships and program development.
- The TCIS Senior Vice President provides direction in keeping with established goals, objectives and policies.
- “Due diligence” process must assure competence and integrity of vendors.
THIS COMPANY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MODIFY, INTERPRET, OR APPLY THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IN ANY WAY THE COMPANY DESIRES. THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IN NO WAY IMPLIES THAT THESE ARE THE ONLY DUTIES, INCLUDING ESSENTIAL DUTIES, TO BE PERFORMED BY THE EMPLOYEE OCCUPYING THIS POSITION. THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IS NOT AN EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE. THE EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP REMAINS “AT-WILL.” THE AFOREMENTIONED JOB REQUIREMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE QUALIFIED DISABLED INDIVIDUALS.
Educational and Experience Requirements Needed to Perform the Duties of the Job:
Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree is a plus.
At least three years’ experience in the healthcare industry is required. Experience with or in a hospital is a plus.
Skills Required to Perform the Duties of the Job:
- Must have an understanding of the healthcare industry in general and hospitals and be knowledgeable of healthcare trends and directions in order to anticipate/determine future membership demand for products/services and determine which products and services to pursue.
- The ability to determine appropriate markets to enter that will provide the greatest value for member hospitals and THA. Vendor selection must reflect “ahead of the curve” thinking to satisfy “value” demands.
- Must be able to communicate effectively while giving presentations both individually and to groups.
- Must have effective “sales” and marketing skills to present programs/vendors to hospitals.
- The ability to negotiate relationships with vendors that meet the needs of member hospitals and TCIS. Negotiations with vendors include both “discounted pricing” for members and “revenue share” for TCIS.
- The ability to develop relationships with key middle and senior managers of member hospitals that establish a foundation for business development.
- The ability to identify, develop and implement new business ventures, including relationships with “partner” organizations as well as internally developed and managed ventures.
- General business skills to include finance, accounting, management and marketing.
- Interpretive skills to take ideas from concept to implementation and operations.
- Must effectively interact with others, including in social settings, with people that are minimally known.
- Must have the ability to oversee and manage day-to-day aspects of key business ventures.
- Must be a self-starter.
- Must have the ability to work unsupervised.
- Must be able to take general directions and translate that into productive work.
- Must have a basic understanding of standard office computer applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
You can apply throughhttps://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/All/48a707c5-0049-4a71-a29c-17d7a5d8171b/Tennessee-Hospital-Association